decisions

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
another mother

Post by another mother »

the schools won't offer if they don't think your DS will cope and I'm sure he will do brilliantly at both.

Both my DD's went from a totally relaxed no homework happy state primary to very focussed and academic girls schools - both really flying. As are their other state primary educated pals. The jump for the first one was hard in the first two terms because it was so full on, but now four years in, that is ancient history.

So I'm with Tipsy et al too!! I know I've said this before on the forum but the best piece of advice we got when trying to choose (having of course not expected this luxury) was not just to look at your little one now or even at what happens in year 7 (which a lot of schools tell you about endlessly), but at the whole 5 or probably 7 years of school experience - and at how the sixth formers are coping with life and learning and moving on, about GCSE choices, As' v IBs etc. Your DS will grow up so much between now and Sept - let alone over the next few years and all the things that seem insuperable at the moment - difficult journeys (which we fretted about hugely) and friendships (which you can't predict) - become neglible as your teenager bats about independently!

Anyway congratulations and very good luck.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I agree with the last few posts.
My DS is in Y7 at independent and came from state school with very little homework. He had to get used to 3 pieces a night and has done so easily.
We have just had Parent's Evening and he came top or 2nd in nearly every subject and top of the whole year in 2 subjects in recent exams One of his teachers said he has the potential to be a real high-flier if he maintains this standard.We were amazed and thrilled as I thought as he was up against prep school children he may have problems keeping up.
So you see - they have the capacity to amaze you if given the opportunity! :D
Go for it!
heidiho

Post by heidiho »

Thank you all very much for your advice.

I feel much more confident and we have accepted a place on which we now all agree.

What I would have done without this forum, goodness knows!!!

Thanks again
:D :lol: :) :D