Central Newcastle High School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Maddy

Central Newcastle High School

Post by Maddy »

Hi,

This is possibly in the wrong place, but I'm not sure where else to ask! Does anybody know anything about this school, e.g. reputation, what the students are like, teaching etc.

Is it difficult to get into the sixth form? I've heard that it is, however, I'm sure it's not as hard as most grammar schools or London independents.

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Maddy !

welcome to the 11plusexams forum.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about the school in question, I'm sure someone will appear who does know (or knows someone who knows!) - are you looking for 6th form admission?
magwich2

central newcastle high school

Post by magwich2 »

My DD went to the junior school for 2 years, got a scholarship to the senior school and attended for one term before we went back down south.
She had previously been to church high for one term before central high.
We did not like church high because it was not as academic as central high (not being party to local gossip we had not realised what the 'pecking order' was in Newcastle). We were also put off by the general reputation of the church high senior girls (something about their indecently short skirts and the word 'easy'!!).
As far as central high was concerned we were delighted with both the academic standards and the pastoral care, especially in the junior department.
The senior school had fantastic academic standards when DD was there(2003) as I think do most of the GDST schools.
The only reservation we had was that there were a lot of girls there who were allowed FAR too much freedom to roam around Newcastle at a very young age (parents seemed to feel so guilty at working all the time and thought the only way to make it up to their daughters was to accede to any demands from them) but I think you could avoid these precocious girls quite easily.
We certainly would not have sent DD to any other school in Newcastle but she is now happily at a (free!) grammar school down south.
GoodLuck anyway
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
Maddy

Post by Maddy »

Thanks a lot for the replies. :) It's always good to hear from people who have had dds at the school. Being new to the area, I don't know much about the different schools' reputations, but Church High doesn't sound too great! I had heard of RGS but, again, I don't know about the reputation. CNHS seems like a lovely school, though. I think I'll go to an open day or arrange to look around.

Thanks again
SpiderMam

Central High

Post by SpiderMam »

Hi

I have a daughter and a son in Newcastle RGS who have absolutely thrived since attending this school. My daughter was also offered a place at Central High but after hearing a few people talking about "what girls do best in groups", we (along with our daughter) decided to go for the RGS.
Saying that, I have heard mainly good reports about Central High. Boys at the RGS have adapted well to the intake of girls.
I would recommend.