What worked for us

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LucyLou's Mum

What works well

Post by LucyLou's Mum »

My DD has just been offered a place at Stratford Grammar School for Girls. There were 957 students that sat the 11+ for 240 places in total for the Southern Warwickshire Grammar Schools (single sex and co-ed). My DD had 19 1 hour sessions of tuition before sitting the test and a lot of what the tuition sessions covered did not appear in the new style test. This new test, in Warwickshire, I believe strives to bring out natural ability rather than that which has been nurtured. However my daughters maths improved dramatically as a result of these tutoring sessions and this was proven by a mock SAT score of 5a( DD was already predicted 5's in all the other subjects but Maths) - so I certainly feel that the time and money we spent helped us get the outcome we desired and also much more.
:D [color=blue][/color]
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

My DS had a tutor from the end of September to help him prepare for his 10+ in January. He had 1 2hr session per wk till December, we then added another 2hrs on weekends doing practise papers. I am pleased to say that he passed and was offered scholarships.

This worked for him and we have bought a Thank you/Farewell present for his Tutor as he will no longer be seeing her. I have friends whose DSs are in GS/Indie and still seeing a tutor, this cannot be right. It is one thing to pass the exams with the assistance of the tutor but to go through your schooling with one makes it clear that the children are struggling to keep up. This cannot be good for their morale.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I know of parents who will pay for a tutor to make sure their DC gets an A instead of a B at GCSE and then A'level. Surely they are not doing their kids any favours. What happens when they get to uni or into the workplace?
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I know of parents who will pay for a tutor to make sure their DC gets an A instead of a B at GCSE and then A'level. Surely they are not doing their kids any favours. What happens when they get to uni or into the workplace?
Tipsy, you obviously don't work in a university or you would be aware that these days mummies and daddies (usually mummies, but not invariably) regularly contact their DC's universities to explain how DS/DD can't come to their exam because they are not feeling very well/their pet has died/grandma is in hospital, or later on to harangue anyone at the end of a phone when the results come out because their little darling hasn't got the 2.1 which they believe they have paid for with the tuition fees.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

That is quite shocking :shock:

Secondary school is the time when our DC should be learning to stand on their own two feet. They are to be supported to reach their potential but not spoon-fed!!

Tipsy - Those children may struggle in the real world of Uni/Work as their loving parents have given them a false sense of security.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am stunned KES! Of course I have already bribed my boys with a car dependent on their grade but I will not interfere with the lecturers (well, maybe the hot ones)! :shock:

1st - Porsche
2:1 - Audi A4
2:2 - Ford Focus
3 - he's buying me a car!

:wink:
LucyLou's Mum

Independent Schools

Post by LucyLou's Mum »

At the end of the day we all want what's best for our children but if they can't cope without our constant intervention who are we doing it for?
I want my child to flourish and achieve through her own abilities and confidence and be happy within her environment. Otherwise I will move her and put her some where she can develop to the best of her ability and above all be happy! That I see as my responsibility:P
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yikes, we got off easy.

My son got a 2:1 in chemistry and followed it up with a Masters.

We got to pay off his credit card bills :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Snowdrops wrote:Yikes, we got off easy.

My son got a 2:1 in chemistry and followed it up with a Masters.

We got to pay off his credit card bills :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not sure what will be cheaper by the time DS goes to uni! :shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The car, the way things are going!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now