Would you go through it again at 13+?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi TIPSY

I think the late sittings can be sort of Ad Hoc events..... :? Situation is that you ring the LEA or whoever is handling admissions and say that circumstances have changed - you are moving to the area, child didn't take the exam first time round.., is there any chance etc etc..... I don't think they formally advertise the fact (thugh we were told in advance that they did it at Lancaster - ususally in June ).
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Hermanmunster. :)
Reader

Post by Reader »

Wren Academy might be open to joining a waiting list. A lot of schools go further than you might think if local kids get other prefs.
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

Hi PapaM

Just seen your posts and wanted to wish you luck and support. We are in a similar situation - didn't apply for the "insurance" schools as to be honest we weren't keen on them. Also felt that the local state was good enough, but we're not sure.

I feel now that we should have spread the net a bit farther...

SO, we've paid a deposit at a local prep for DS to take 2 years and the CE, but where after that is a huge question mark. Still wondering about last minute places elsewhere because I do know of a few children a year from our primary school who have secured these in the past, but we're worried about making hasty decisions.

Anyway, hope it all works out for you. I'm finding it pretty stressful; shoulders permanently glued to ears at the moment. Do let us know what happens next,

DC
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi DC,

Glad you've made a decision as it takes some pressure away from you. Let the prep school do their job now and advise you on the best school for DS, as you deserve a break! Is DS starting in the summer or winter term?
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

Yes, and thanks for your help on this Tipsy.

Ah, I see you noticed that I omitted to mention the start date. I have read with interest the comments about summer starting and it seems to me a head vs heart decision. The head says it would be good to start getting up to speed, as there will be a gap esp in french and latin. The heart says, that the last term at the current school is (after SATs) a wonderful time when the children do a lot of activities that contribute to making them rounded kids (people?) rather than just workhorses. The fact is that there is not an option to start sooner than Sept, but actually I would be reluctant so I'm glad that we don't have that difficult decision...

DC
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well at least the choice has been made for you which can be a blessing! :D I hope he enjoys the last term of his school and is excited about moving onto his new school. There are things you can do for latin. I believe there is a minimus series which is quite easy to learn at home. It is quite a mathematical language so hopefully he'll pick it up easily.
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

Luckily he has had 2 years of low-key latin at school, which teaches it in the context of historical stories etc and makes it fun (how many state primaries do this nowadays!?) so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Sounds like a really good excuse to have a holiday in Italy or France this summer! I've never been to Rome... :wink:
zorro

Post by zorro »

Tuscany is lovely!! :wink:
I'm sure you have made a good decision!
I was nearly in your situation last year and was going to do exactly the same if DS didn't get a place. Fortunately he did and is very happy and settled even though I was very disappointed at the time that we didn't get a choice.
Hope he will be happy and gets into a good senior school at 13.
PapaM

Post by PapaM »

dearcoty wrote:Hi PapaM

Just seen your posts and wanted to wish you luck and support. We are in a similar situation - didn't apply for the "insurance" schools as to be honest we weren't keen on them. Also felt that the local state was good enough, but we're not sure.

I feel now that we should have spread the net a bit farther...

SO, we've paid a deposit at a local prep for DS to take 2 years and the CE, but where after that is a huge question mark. Still wondering about last minute places elsewhere because I do know of a few children a year from our primary school who have secured these in the past, but we're worried about making hasty decisions.

Anyway, hope it all works out for you. I'm finding it pretty stressful; shoulders permanently glued to ears at the moment. Do let us know what happens next,

DC
dearcoty,

Missed replying to this earlier...spent a lot of time posting on wednesday, then just not had a chance to get back into all this as have already neglected working too much the last few weeks....Will be catching up on some of the other threads eventually...
Yes, your situation seems to be very similar to mine....
13+ and CE has also been recommended to me, but I'm still not sure i want to take the route. We're meeting the HM of current prep next week - will see what they have to say. At the moment, I'm still not sure I want to subject him to working so hard again, like he did for 11+ (and only 10 yrs old!!!) ... cos even after that, there's no guarantee, and then 2/3 yrs after that there's GCSE, then A-level ....and it just goes on! I'm still not sure I want to do all that to him. I've been after all the 'good grades' etc etc from him since before he's even got to secondary school stage!

We're only now slowly getting over it, and he is slowly too...need to think it all over properly and talk to him as well and then take it from there.

Admittedly, I'd even like to emigrate....but DD is v. happy where she is...

Thank you very much indeed for your good wishes and support. Likewise, I wish and support you that it all goes well for you and your DD...

As I say, will be catching up on the other boards later (but those guys are too fast to keep up with!) [and yes, that statement is more for 'them' than you..]

cheers
PapaM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now