How do you get lazy boys studying for 11+/CE during summer?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CheerLeader2017

How do you get lazy boys studying for 11+/CE during summer?

Post by CheerLeader2017 »

11+ and common entrance season is just around the corner….former head of Harrow School, Barnaby Lenon says 99% of boys are innately lazy. What tactics are you using to get your son studying over the summer break? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nine ... -fcd326vgv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Re: How do you get lazy boys studying for 11+/CE during summ

Post by Guest55 »

What a disgusting statement that is unworthy of a Headteacher! He should be ashamed of himself.

Boys are just as hardworking as girls - both genders need to find the work interesting.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is absolute nonsense. There are lots of hardworking students from both genders preparing for the first Y6 11 plus exams in less than three weeks time.

The motivating factors are the same for both genders.

Perhaps it is a problems for students who have everything laid out on a place for them by parents and tutors and school. Perhaps they don't need to actually do anything else but follow the instructions in front of them. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

A very stupid comment for anyone to make - let alone a Headteacher. I notice that the little bit of the article we can actually view refers to him as a Headmaster and 'former Master of Eton' which is exactly the kind of antiquated, sexist terminology I despise. (Are they actually still called 'Masters'? and if so, why?

He sounds like a man who exists in a weird bubble of massive privilege and total unreality. He wouldn't last five minutes in a lot of schools.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:A very stupid comment for anyone to make - let alone a Headteacher. I notice that the little bit of the article we can actually view refers to him as a Headmaster and 'former Master of Eton' which is exactly the kind of antiquated, sexist terminology I despise. (Are they actually still called 'Masters'? and if so, why?

He sounds like a man who exists in a weird bubble of massive privilege and total unreality. He wouldn't last five minutes in a lot of schools.
I am a Times subscriber (long, long, time Times reader, finally taking out the subscription last year for the free National Trust membership. And used that exactly twice :oops: ), so I'm not sure exactly where the paywall cuts in. Did you get as far as the 30-odd Dos and Don'ts for parents, taken from the book he is promoting? Is the guy the secret lover of that ghastly
Ford woman ('9.23: express exactly one and a quarter ounces of breastmilk'.)? I can safely say that our household does not conform to any more than about three of his demands - and we still have offspring who read books, write great prose and are generally more than acceptably polite and sociable :roll: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

Were you involved in FORDGATE on Mumsnet, ToadMum? :lol: T'was a fair few years ago.

I was.....those were the days. :lol:

I see a bright future for Barnaby and G (Can't write the whole name for fear of litigation) perhaps at a new military camp for these ghastly 11plus recalcitrant boys....
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:Were you involved in FORDGATE on Mumsnet, ToadMum? :lol: T'was a fair few years ago.

I was.....those were the days. :lol:

I see a bright future for Barnaby and G (Can't write the whole name for fear of litigation) perhaps at a new military camp for these ghastly 11plus recalcitrant boys....
Not I - not a Mumsnet sort of person, me (although I suppose I could be persuaded, if there is fun to be had over there :lol: ). Ten minutes in a local bookshop perusing - with mounting horror - the original GF tome was enough to send me into the Slough of Despond, though.

Or Slough of Desmond, as my phone would prefer it :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Hm, not sure why all the outrage. Based on my very scientific sample of 3 (brother, husband, son), Barnaby is right, boys are feckless and lazy. But then so am I, in fact so lazy that I couldn't be bothered to read to the end, (although I did wonder how he managed to make his shelves so neat and tidy).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now