SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Oh dear, I think I owe everyone an apology now! Despite my user name I wasn't actually referring to KES when I said assisted places were for children who could pass the entrance exam but couldn't afford the fees. This is obviously not true at KES, where the funding runs out well before they get down to the pass mark in the rank order, so boys who get assistance there are indeed of very high ability. They needn't necessarily be particularly poor either, as its revamped bursary scheme extends to pretty high incomes. I was really looking at the situation from the viewpoint of the Charity Commission which wants places at the more exclusive public schools to be made available to children who would benefit from attending them regardless of income, if they are to keep their charitable status. In the case of highly academic schools like KES the school should easily be able to convince the Charity Commissioners that its available fuding should go to the cleverest boys according to the entrance test, as attracting these pupils is written into KES's mission statement.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
KenR

Post by KenR »

However, I think I may be wise to inform him not to tell his peers when he starts that he has an assisted place, as this may be to his detriment in forming new friendships. It is not the boys I am worried about, but the parents!
In response to mummyjo's concern above, my daughter is in the 6th form at KEHS and we know many parents with children at KES. I have to say that I can't recall anyone(child or parent) mentioning or being concerned about whether a child has a scholarship or bursary. The kids don't really aren't concerned, and if you read the KE Foundation literature I recall claim that something like 60% have some form of scholarship or bursary. (Not us I'm afraid, I'm still stumping up the £9K per year - for another year! :( )
naxa

Post by naxa »

I'm interested to understand how schools that offer bursaries enforce the parents commitment to keep their child at the school for their entire school career?
What if child is unhappy and wants to leave? What if the child wants to go to a different school for 6th form?
I would be happy to commit my child to the first 5 years ie up to GCSE, but would be reluctant to commit beyond that.
Anyone with insight?!
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Scholarships (academic, music, or art) seem to be quite a big deal at KES, and they are mentioned next to the boys' names in the Blue Book if they have been awarded one.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

naxa wrote:I'm interested to understand how schools that offer bursaries enforce the parents commitment to keep their child at the school for their entire school career?
I don't know that they do try to enforce that, do they? Why would they want to keep a child who didn't want to be there, especially if they weren't paying any fees?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KES Parent wrote:
naxa wrote:I'm interested to understand how schools that offer bursaries enforce the parents commitment to keep their child at the school for their entire school career?
I don't know that they do try to enforce that, do they? Why would they want to keep a child who didn't want to be there, especially if they weren't paying any fees?
There is no enforcement but I think it is wrong and selfish of a parent to not commit for the full term, unless a child is desperately unhappy, as this place could have gone to someone else in need. If a parent has the expectation that they may well choose a different school for the sixth form then they should not accept a bursary - this is unfair on the school.
another mother

Post by another mother »

Many scholarships and bursaries (in London certainly) are only given for the first five years, up to GCSE's - (although the music schlolars at my elder dd's school have to commit to seven). This is fairly tough too; if you do want to stay on, and in the end most do, it may not be financially possible. Finding a suitable alternative is not always easy and often not ideal at a crucial point in education. Clearly any bursary is a huge help at any time and the re-jigging gives new pupils a chance for sixth form bursaries but it puts an added pressure on students on bursaries to perform all round during GCSE's - without any idea what the criteria for continued funding might be!
naxa

Post by naxa »

Another mother - in the scenario where your ds has to commit for 7 years, are you signing a piece of paper to say so, or how does it work in practice?

I would be happy to sign up for 5 years but I think 7 is too long. In my experience, at least in London, there are many children who want to make a change at 6th form...
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Bursaries or scholarships do not tie you to a school. You can leave by giving one terms notice however if you do not give a terms notice you are actually liable for the full fee not the reduced bursary/scholarship fee.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now