Flagship standards

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

That is not an accurate league table. The top school was Westminster followed by Winchester. CRGS came 9TH.
KB

Post by KB »

Silly me Tipsy- I was using the official league tables :lol:

Just out if interest, which are you quoting from?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Every league table is different and many "offical" ones will have top independents at the bottom because they do not account for children taking exams early or a different qualification. It would always surprise me how GNVQ in Hairdressing would be equivalent to 5 GCSE A*-C and yet 10 IGCSE A* would account for a fail. I'm not sure if GNVQ's are now included.

The league tables I hold to be the most accurate are the FT which measure the percentage of children gaining a minimum of AAB in non-soft A'levels. Wesminster achieved 89% whereas CRGS achieved 65% of pupils gaining a minimum of AAB. Some league tables merely count up the number of A'level points and divide them by the cohort number to obtain an average. I feel this is not a good measure because a small percentage of highly gifted students could bump up the score and this does not reflect what it really going on across the board, or many have done easier A'levels which increases the mark. At least the FT give an indication of the overall number of students gaining high marks.

I actually think league tables are all a waste of time and I tend to look at the individual A'level results on the school website.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Well this is all very interesting I must say. I hadn't actually expected the indies to be doing so well compared to grammars given that the competition for entry is nothing like so hot.

I am particularly interested in the comment from the Telegraph article above (based on official league tables) that:
A school-by-school analysis of A-level results shows 84 out of the top 200 schools were grammars.
I assume therefore that more than 84 of the top 200 must be independents, despite the absence of a good number of results from the official figures.

A clear win for the independent sector I think G55 :lol: ?
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

In the top 20 of the FT (I can't find the top 1000, yet) one is a GS.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Top 1000 Schools
Published: March 19 2009 10:15 | Last updated: March 19 2009 10:15

This Special Report goes live on Saturday March 21.
Shock :shock: horror :shock: FT try to sell more papers by updating the tables. You are only as good as your last result - as they say in football.

Anyway, my dad's bigger than your dad.

Sorry to be childish, but they started it. :lol:

Do we really need another thread on elevenplusexams.co.uk arguing over the relative merits of different types of school?

steve
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It seems steve that you are the one who has the issue again! :roll: It was fine to say that a GS was the top school but not fine to dispute it. I look forward to the day you post helpful comments on the independent section rather than pick holes in them.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

stevew61 wrote:Anyway, my dad's bigger than your dad.
Did you steal that phrase from me? 8)
Do we really need another thread on elevenplusexams.co.uk arguing over the relative merits of different types of school?
The distinct lack of anything to debate/discuss while aimlessly waiting/ruminating/procrastinating/whatever one is doing always brings out this hot topic. :lol:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Of course looking at academic results is only a part - and actually rather a small part - of the picture. There is so much more to an independent education than that!!! 8)
Loopy
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Loopyloulou wrote:I must agree that looking at academic results is only a part - and actually rather a small part - of the picture. There is so much more to an independent education than that!!! 8)
Your comment will be cherished a 1000 x more if you said

"I must agree that looking at academic results is only a part - and actually rather a small part - of the picture. There is so much more to education than that!!! 8)"

In the midst of all the speculation,analysis,studies,tables and whatnots, there is a child in the middle, with all sorts of circumstances..that is what choosing an education is all about. No one is ever right or wrong in this debate.