If we had a place at both and if the indie was our first choice we'd be doing the same - we wouldn't be burning any grammar bridges until at least June or July, maybe later. While nothing has been said yet (except to impose a pay freeze just as we'd jumped through all the annual performance appraisal hoops) I'm pretty sure that blood will flow at my employers this year - I don't see how it can be avoided. A large proportion of UK companies will be in the same position this year.
I have to agree with Mike. Normally I would find it very selfish but in this current climate it would be prudent for a family to hold onto a GS place incase there was a chance that job cuts could be in the pipeline. I wached a programme a while back which said that school fees were so expensive that only a small number of professions could afford the fees. Banking was one of these professions and no bankers job is safe at the moment.