Last dates for accepting a private school place?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hello,
Don't usually post in this section but was following the thread.
We recently received an offer of a grammar school place for DD2 after allocations day.She has just missed out and happily someone turned the place down in favour of private.Our good fortune :lol:
She has a sister already there.I can't begin to express the pain of having to tell her she wouldn't be joining her sister.Telling a 10 year old , who is looking at you with hope and anticipation that they haven't made it. was truly heart breaking. Telling her sister was not much better either :cry: Then you go into overdrive spinning the virtues of the school they have been allocated to make them as positive as possible.
The person who fairly quickly made a decision to return the place to the LEA to allocate did us an enormous favour.She will be there for alll the induction type events which start next month.She also did not have to do too much reorientation emotionally because she only had a couple of weeks of thinking she was going elsewhere.
It is your pefect legal right to hold both places and I wouldn't condemn anyone for it, after all, this parenting lark is pretty tough and we are all just doing our best for our child.
I would however just like to convey how hugely grateful I am for the quick release of the GS place for my DD which has brought us a lot of joy and relief. :lol: She won't feel like an add on who has missed out on all the bonding and events that happen prior to the Summer.I for one am very glad for someone else's quick decision but recognise that is not always possible.
vas

Post by vas »

So happy for you Chelmsford mum, I followed your thread earlier in Essex on results day as my niece sat the exams. Well done to your dd. My niece did well too!! :)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thank you very much.We are very happy :lol: Nice of you to comment :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yes, what a wonderful result after the disappointment!

Mike
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

When we declined the state grammar school place for Ed we heard nothing further from the LEA. We have told them nothing and had no questions asked.

I feel that there must be some sort of transfer of information though from the school to the LA where the school is based though as we did receive some sort of communication about local health care in the area for Ed...
shalom

allocation of offers

Post by shalom »

Chelmsford Mum

Many parents are making challenging decisions at this time - many for the first time. Also, there are many who are, understandably, desperate for some movement on waiting lists.

Hence, your comments were filled with wisdom. Congratulations to your daughter.
zee

Post by zee »

Ed's mum wrote:I feel that there must be some sort of transfer of information though from the school to the LA where the school is based though as we did receive some sort of communication about local health care in the area for Ed...
That was probably via the GP/NHS records.
(I doubt it was anything from indie to LEA - for all the reasons given above.)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

school records and SEN records are passed on from primary to secondary
The head of yr 7 usually comes to talk to the y6 teachers and teh Sencos usually meet to give a brief outlineof cases and in some cases to set an IEP for the start of y7.

Or at least that's what happens here
zee

Post by zee »

Yes, but are you talking state school to state school?

Our went indie to (state) grammar and no one from the grammar visited the prep and no info was requested of the prep (though they did send some of their own accord). So, in our case, there was clearly no official procedure for communication between the sectors, and I would imagine that was quite common.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At the GS where I work we visit all feeders - including the private schools - important as most of our 'strugglers' will come from them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now