stress

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

Hi,
I will let you know her result when it comes(tomorrow maybe..........) This will only tell us If she's reached the cut off mark though.

As we live just over the border from North Yorkshire in East Lancashire we are not classed as catchment area, so fingers crossed! if she's got the cut off.

We won't know for good until March 1st 06(but isn't this years class 6 small numbers all over the country??? low birthrate year I seem to think??????)

Good Luck to all on this site. :D

Footymad.
sleepless

stress

Post by sleepless »

Good luck Guest!!

Essex exam 26th November (since the national offer day thing started) No news at all until offer day in March and then an almost useless letter from the Essex consortium with figures nobody seemed to understand at all last year and no figures to tell you how they actually scored in individual tests.
Test used to be late Jan, so only had to wait 7 weeks.

We've finished with the 11+ now but I can recommend a good black market site for valium!!
pcn

exam 5th November

Post by pcn »

My son took the slough test 5th November. Luckily we should find out if he has passed or not early December (poss 2nd or 3rd?) but still won't know if we'll get an offer until March! Even the placement will depend on the pass mark and my son was 11 early Oct so will lose marks!! He said it was harder than the practice papers. Oh well I know he will have done his best and that is all anyone can ask, eh?

Post by Guest »

All my sympathy to families who have to wait 4 months for the results. We receive the results early december for an exam taken in october and it bad enough.

Post by Guest »

The letter came today................................................ :?

Yey!! :D She did it!!!!!!! She got the cut off mark!!! :P

Now the wait till 1st March next year to see if she gets a place...................................

I'm extremley proud of her, as we only started to practice Nfer Nelson papers in late August and she took her first test on the 7th October.

It just shows that with a bit of time and effort on both halves you can do it. :wink:

I'm was unfortunately in the position of not having the funds to hire a personal tutor, so I set to the task myself.

There was loads of blood sweat and tears on the way, but it was worth it.

It made us even closer, and we had fun on the way. 8)

An ecstatic! Footymad xxxxxxx

She's gone to watch Harry Potter now at the cinema!
pcn

congratulations

Post by pcn »

Congratulations to your daughter and to you. Allyour hard work has paid off. I too taught my son and hopefully wiil be successful also! What was the cut off mark and what was her actual score? Good luck on getting a place.
Saw Harry Potter this A.M

Post by Guest »

They only tell you how many marks you've failed by if you don't reach cut off, but not you're actual score.

If you've reached cut off they just tell you that you're child has reached the standard required for a place at a selective grammar school, No %'S !!!

This is just North Yorks LEA, don't know bout other area's

I hope you're son passes also, please let us know.

I have found this site extremley useful and even comforting at times!

So no doubt I shall be visiting for a while to come.

I've got another daughter currently in year 5 who is adamant that she doesn't want to go to' grammar school, but as she hears of her sister's achievment, I think she might be open to discussion!

Fingers ***'d for everyone :P

Footymad.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Footymad

Congratulations!

Goodluck to anyone taking or waiting

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Patricia for you're "Congratulations" we're still on cloud nine! :lol:

The only sad bit is that my daughter feels really sorry for her six or so others friends who were unfortunately not as lucky as her and didn't reach the standard required.

You can tell that they want to celebrate,but feel they can't(her and one of her best friends that passed)

Has anybody been in the situation?
How did the children and the parents get on??

Got the school walk in an hour and I 'm dreading meeting parents whose children haven't passed.

Footymad.
Dr. Know

Success is bitter-sweet

Post by Dr. Know »

Dear Footymad,

By the very nature of "selective examinations" it's a sad fact that many, in fact the majority, of the parents in your area recieved unfavourable news over the weekend.

Meeting other parents this week will be awkward understandably as you are beaming and bursting with it whereas the others have spent the weekend getting themsleves and more importantly their child to come to terms with the failure/near miss.

You have to basically accept the fact that you and your daughter worked terribly hard and have deserved what you have achieved, believe me it no mean feat, especially in the few weeks it has taken you to achieve what other parents may have prepared up to one year with a tutor to assist.

I am sure your daughter will be a success at the school. Many congratulations on her fine performance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now