Home tutoring for super-selectives?

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Colourful-Rainbow

Re: Home tutoring for super-selectives?

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

menagerie wrote:Has anyone done this and got in? (Tiffin Boys, Sutton, Wallington and Wilson's are the schools we're aiming for.)

I suddenly realised quite how much tutoring is going to cost us next year. As we are both freelancers we can't guarantee our income and I'm panicking that we won't be able to find the money for the tutor we've lined up.

I'm now wondering if we should home tutor instead. We've been doing some work together regularly and it's gone pretty well so far (early days, I know.) I'm a bit nervous of being bale to explain the more difficult NVR stuff, but if we build to it gradually I'm hoping it will be OK.

Or is this madness? Would the experienced tutor be far better at guiding my DS?

Dithering now...
I'm sure you'll be fine if you home tutor. :) All you need to do is select the right material, plan ahead and go through them with your kids. Even if the tutor may know the ins and outs better than ourselves it doesn't mean they will be worse of if they are home tutored. :)
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I successfully tutored my DS for an Essex super selective in around three months. It definitely can be done.

Last night I attended the open evening for a girls' super selective and the Head gave the usual spiel advising against tuition. I don't understand it. The school continues to achieve excellent results. Our guide confirmed she didn't know of any strugglers in her year group. I know that the vast majority of super selective pupils have had tuition either at home, professionally or at prep school. What then, is the problem? Is it that the tuition culture leaves a few children at a disadvantage? I can see that might be the case but in a county where you have to opt in to the 11+, most of the bright but "unpushed" won't even sit the exam. It would be fairer if everyone sat it and the format changed every year but under the current rules tuition is the way to go.
Colourful-Rainbow

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

First-timer wrote:I successfully tutored my DS for an Essex super selective in around three months. It definitely can be done.

Last night I attended the open evening for a girls' super selective and the Head gave the usual spiel advising against tuition. I don't understand it. The school continues to achieve excellent results. Our guide confirmed she didn't know of any strugglers in her year group. I know that the vast majority of super selective pupils have had tuition either at home, professionally or at prep school. What then, is the problem? Is it that the tuition culture leaves a few children at a disadvantage? I can see that might be the case but in a county where you have to opt in to the 11+, most of the bright but "unpushed" won't even sit the exam. It would be fairer if everyone sat it and the format changed every year but under the current rules tuition is the way to go.
The school we are applying for also discourages tuition in general, however everyone else I know who is applying for the same school is getting private tuition. We have opted for home tutoring though.