Motivational talk?

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Naulakha

Motivational talk?

Post by Naulakha »

We still have a couple of months to go until the 11+, and I'm finding my DC is flagging and becoming quite demotivated, not really wanting to start practice after the summer break (we did some, but very low key).

Does anyone have any tips on motivational chats? I don't want to paint a picture of "the grammar is amazing, comp is not" in case she ends up there (and in any case many of her class will). I also need to try and instil a degree of competitiveness as its a superselective and only the top scorers get in without stressing her out too much.

How has anyone else approached this?
hermanmunster

Re: Motivational talk?

Post by hermanmunster »

has she visited both?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Do you have any friends with DCs there? My DS was struggling and his brother spent some time telling him how much he liked his school and how it was worth all the hard work. As Herman said, if she visits the school and loves it that will motivate her.
scary mum
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Have you reviewed how far she's come? Maybe do one of the very first papers, perhaps one she got a lowish score on. She'll probably score far higher this time round and see that her practise is giving her real results.
Naulakha

Post by Naulakha »

She visited the grammar last term and did really like it, especially the art and science rooms. The comp open day is not until mid-October (leaving it a bit late IMO) but she is familiar with the site as its used for community sports and just on first impressions the 2 schools are poles apart (one is manicured flower beds and outdoor seating, one lots of tarmac and quite scruffy).

She knows children at both schools- all are happy at either. But one school gets 70+% A/A* at A level, one considerably less than 10% so quite a difference! The trouble is she doesn't really understand the implications- I think I will have to bite the bullet and point out the academic differences a bit more starkly and hope it focuses her mind.

I will also try retaking old papers with her- thanks for your ideas.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now