best book to use for practice

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
geogwoman

best book to use for practice

Post by geogwoman »

Please can anyone recommend good books to practice for NFER Maths and VR 11+ tests. We have the NFER practice papers but as I am going to tutor my son myself I could do with some suggestions as to which books are good. In particular I need to speed up Verbl Reasoning. He did a mock 11+ test a couple of weeks ago and came 83rd out of 320 pupils, so he seems to be going okay, but as the mark range seems so narrow i want to see if we can improve his scores
Thanks
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Look on the 11+ advice page (go to home). You will find out there what types of questions in VR are applicable to your area. I spent a lot of time
and money on books which were not relevant. (in Kent we only do 15 types of question, some books/sites have 50!) Also find out if your tests are standard format or multiple choice - apologies if you already have done this, but it does make a difference to which books are more suitable.

I also liked the IPS books , there is a parents guide and workbook. You can buy them from this site

Last but not least the Tutors free download VR Techniques and method. Look on teh homepage again.

I am not in the pay from the Tutors btw I just like their material!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

For VR, I agree with Yoyo, you need to find out the details of the exam, may be by browsing the Devon forum if you don't find what you want on the site advice page.

For maths, you can browse the maths section as lots of the comments are about the NFER papers.
I personally used the AE publications and IPS books . AE as reference and to dip in and out. I found them useful because their content is geared towards entrance exams rather than school curriculum, although sometimes the approach is a bit of of a drill rather than in depth explanations.
IPS 35mn and 10mn papers for practice tests, fairly close to the NFER papers, may be a bit harder.

We didn't use anything else because lack of time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now