common entrance exam

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kosar.irshad

common entrance exam

Post by kosar.irshad »

apologies for sounding ignorant, but is there a difference between the common entrance exam and the eleven plus.

Post by Guest »

Yes, the two are very different.

Common entrance is an assessment usually taken for entrance to public school at 13+ (boarding/day). Prep schools cover a specific syllabus to prepare for this and it largely tests a pupils knowledge, rather than academic potential alone. If your child has not attended a suitable prep school which covers the CE work, I believe that many schools will take this into account and offer an alternative entrance test. It is almost impossible to "fail" common entrance but different schools require different scores for admission.

11+ (for state grammar schools) varies in its format but is not usually specifically taught at school as it is designed to select children with sufficient academic potential for a grammar school education. This can be by verbal reasoning test alone or in addition to non-verbal reasoning, maths and english papers.

11+ for independent (day) schools varies according to the school but usually follows a similar format to the more rigorous 11+ tests, i.e. maths, english and verbal or non-verbal reasoning.

What type of school are you considering? I'm sure if you contact the admissions secretary of the relevant schools they should be able to advise you on their requirements.
kosar.irshad

Post by kosar.irshad »

many thanks for the helpful information. I am intending to send my child to a Scottish independent school. I have contacted a couple of schools regarding the format of the exams but feel the schools are quite reluctant to divulge information about their entrance exams
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now