compound words

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

compound words

Post by patricia »

Dear All

In response to a post under the Essex section.another flash card game.

1] Using about 50 cards put one half of a compound word on one card the other half on different card eg one card DO the other NATION.

2] Mix up the cards, each player can have 5 cards[or 6/7.adjust to your taste] the rest are put face down as a deck.

3]Player 1 tries to make a compound word from their hand.

If they can, put down, face up.then take 2 more from the deck.

If no word can be found, take 1 from the deck, can choose to keep card or discard back to the deck. If they keep the card have to give up one from their hand.

4] Other player takes their turn.

5] Player with most compound words is the winner.

I have a list of common compounds which I can post at a later time or as a free download if forumadmin so wishes

Patricia
Boo

Post by Boo »

WOW Patricia you're a star, please post list of compund words sounds like a great game, my kids really enjoy playing cards even crib which is great for recall of numbers. Your game sounds like it would be suitable for my 8 year old too as the element of luck means a more equal chance and should reduce the arguments. Many thanks.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Boo and others

The other game we play, which is also good for memory.

1] Same cards, shuffled, all placed face down in rows, or scattered if so wish.

2] Player 1 picks up two random cards and reads them out if he/she thinks its a compound word they keep that pair, [ someone needs to judge if it is a real word] if not they are returned to the same position, this is where memory comes in, try to remember what each card says, that is put back down]

3]Player 2 or 3 or 4 etc takes their turn until all cards overturned.

4] Winner is the player with the most compound words.

5] If the player does not recognise that it is a compound word and puts the cards back down, then the next player can quickly pick up that pair [ might start a few rows, but hey]

The beauty of these games is that you can periodically change your words to relieve boredom and to expand knowledge.

Patricia

compound words

Post by Guest »

where can you buy this game?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Will be in the shops when I find a business partner!

Will send details of game, plus a list of common compounds to website, over the weekend, will be put under free downloads.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Compound word list now available, there are of course hundreds more. I am always adding to my list, these are common ones.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tricia.pdf

Patricia
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thankyou Patricia again, for all your advice and help.

These will be a great aid, and in game format too!!!!!! This one my son shall enjoy learning with. :wink:

B
Mel1

games

Post by Mel1 »

Hi Patricia

Firstly I don't know why you do not have a business partner sounds like a sound business venture to me!!

Anyway I have looked at your link and have printed all the words as my young daughter just eight is already telling me she and her friend are planning on going 'Beaconsfield High'. My son is having a super time so far at JHG and it is having a very positive effect on his sister.

My daughter loves games particuarly cards even gives me a run for my money with Rummy. Seriously though do you think I could start preparing her this early. Also Patricia she loves reading but I sometimes think the books from school are not the most interesting. Do you know of any particular series she would enjoy at her age. She is a good reader and if I can help expand her vocab with 'interesting books for her age' then I am sure she woudl really benefit.

Much obliged

Mel
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel1

May be good at verbal reasoning but am a bit thick when it comes to business, and of course with teenagers /working/tutoring/answering posts! Life becomes busy.

I truly do NOT believe in starting early with the 21 types, overkill and boredom, however I do think it's prudent to commence on expanding vocab and getting those 4 maths operations in order, this should be achieved by using 'fun' methods and perhaps quiz books.

I also believe in letting children choose their own books within their reading age, more likely to enjoy and take note.

About time you became a 'proper' member, I would then send you a personal message!

Patricia
Mel1

Post by Mel1 »

Hi opatricia

sorry I am being thick now but how do I become a proper member
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now