Abolition of testing is shooting the messenger.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sj355

Post by sj355 »

zorro wrote:Every lesson recorded?!!!
I'm sorry but I think that is ridiculous!
Misunderstanding. For "lesson" I meant topic or module or whatever else they call Maths, Science etc at school. I love continuous assessessment as it gives everyone an idea of how they do, especially your child! So nine (9) pieces of assessment per topic of which two are exams and the rest tests/projects sounds fine to me. In secondary school in Greece we had very frequent tests (monthly) and they were not pre-announced so you always had to be on your toes and ready. Wonderful system!

Also how can a child do better than 100% ? Effort grades and achievement grades show whether the child is trying their best but even if they aren't trying their hardest how can they improve on 100% ?
By setting them harder work to do as obviously the existing one is no longer a challenge as the 100% indicates?
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Anyway to return to the SATS, I thought these have a place to play but only as one of various types of assements taking place, rather than the sole one which takes place at a point of exit (KS2), and hence very much after the event? How is that useful as a feedback device for the child's own progress?
sj355
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I assumed that they would give secondary schools objective information on each child's capabilities and how much of the curriculum they have understood rather than just covered.

To a certain extent I still feel this but I regret the way league tables have created a situation which has made it in the best interests of schools to artifically enhance childrens' levels.

Our primary now gives us termly updates on what sub-levels they are currently acheiving. I find it very useful as opposed to the general 'they are doing well' of recent years. Like you say there is time to work on things if there is a problem.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Our primary now gives us termly updates on what sub-levels they are currently acheiving. I find it very useful as opposed to the general 'they are doing well' of recent years. Like you say there is time to work on things if there is a problem.
[/quote]

This sounds like a very positive development indeed. Is there an action plan constructed on the basis of the level of work identified? perhaps that will be the next logical step -identify a problem (if there is one!) and state how you plan to tackle it
sj355
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I believe all schools are now obliged to track children in this way but our school also gives this info to parents. It is part of the new value added that is being talked about and is supposed to focus on what individuals can acheive regardless of ability. Setting more realistic goals for schools where the catchment is mixed

As governors at the beginning of every year the head teacher shows us the levels that each child (anonomously) in each class is working at and what they are expected to be acheiving. Those underperforming or over acheiving are colour coded so that it is easy to see if a particular group of children are not on target.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

[quote="Tolstoy"]I believe all schools are now obliged to track children in this way but our school also gives this info to parents. It is part of the new value added that is being talked about and is supposed to focus on what individuals can acheive regardless of ability. Setting more realistic goals for schools where the catchment is mixed

As governors at the beginning of every year the head teacher shows us the levels that each child (anonomously) in each class is working at and what they are expected to be acheiving. Those underperforming or over acheiving are colour coded so that it is easy to see if a particular group of children are not on target.

p.s this meeting is usually followed by dicussion on whether he gets his increment part of which is based on getting results :lol: . To his credit he doesn't normally take the incrument, schools often can't afford them regardlesss of how well the staff are doing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We've been doing this for over 10 years!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

To be honest, Guest55, I left the profession over 12 years ago so not a great expert on all this. The previous school I was a gov at was in Wales where it is a different set up. Many parents are probably unaware of the effort that goes into assessing and tracking their children and schools often keep this info to themselves especially at primary level.

p.s Is anyone able to sort out the mess I have made above. Seem to have clicked the wrong thing and ended up duplicating rather than adding
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

FirstTimeBuyer is rightly exercised about Science teaching. However, this is only the tip of an iceberg. One has only to trawl through sub sections of any quality newspaper s Education section to find truly disquieting facts. The following are by wayof example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... y-MPs.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... investment

and for more thought provoking debate I would add:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... onsibility
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now