Broken Wrist

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

A scribe?
I thought the English Tests were testing handwriting, how is this awarded if the writing is somebody else's?
tco

Post by tco »

Dear Ed's mum & Guest55

Thanks for the tips and best wishes.

Hope it goes well ...
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

The marks for handwriting are a fraction of what is being assessed. Either 1,2 or 3 marks maximum.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

LuluQueen wrote:A scribe?
I thought the English Tests were testing handwriting, how is this awarded if the writing is somebody else's?
Interesting question.

For the English test, the reading section is 50%.
The writing section ( longer task 31%,shorter writing task 12% spelling 7%) is a total of 50%.

Handwriting is assessed in the longer writing task.
The handwriting is legible and shows some features of regularity in size and spacing.However, overall the script is disjointed and uneven.
1 mark

Overall, the handwriting is regular with some flow and movement. Letters and words are usually appropriate in size and position but there is some variation.
2 marks

The handwriting is consistent and fluent with letters and words appropriately placed.
The handwriting maintains a personal style to engage the reader.
3 marks
Total 3% maximum mark out of whole English test can be gained for handwriting.

Would 3% be a reasonable tradeoff for all the pain and aggro of a broken wrist? :cry:

Possibly the child might be given an assessed mark for this in accordance with exam marking regulations (special consideration case).

Anyhow, hope your son's wrist mends 100% well, TCO;
thing to remember is that it is not a critical exam that his whole future rests on if he loses 1,2,3 marks, if any.
tco

Post by tco »

Dear lion63

Thanks for the detailed information and best wishes.

It's not a bad break so hopefully it will mend well. These things happen and you can't keep them in cotton wool for ever.

We're not overly worried about the effect on his SATS. My understanding is that schools generally use the SATS as one method of assessing children nonetheless the timing was not good!
lion63

Post by lion63 »

tco wrote:These things happen and you can't keep them in cotton wool for ever.
nonetheless the timing was not good!
You are absolutely right; my point was that it would seem churlish (?)to begrudge him a few marks for an accident that occurred unexpectedly.

At least his friends can practise their handwriting on his cast tomorrow. :)
tco

Post by tco »

Dear all,

First day went fine. He had a scribe no problems and tests went OK. It was worth getting into school early to sort things out. School were excellent.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the week.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He won't have been the only one across the country!
lion63

Post by lion63 »

tco wrote:
First day went fine. He had a scribe no problems and tests went OK. It was worth getting into school early to sort things out. School were excellent.
Brilliant!
tco wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the week.
Not too tightly, we don't want any broken fingers. :lol:
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

One of my DS's classmates broke his collarbone (playing an illicit game of rugby at playtime on Friday :roll: ) - one of the teaching assistants acted as his scribe today :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now