KS2 SATS AND "PRACTICE" UNDERTAKEN BY THE SCHOOLS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SJ

KS2 SATS AND "PRACTICE" UNDERTAKEN BY THE SCHOOLS

Post by SJ »

Well the dreaded week is here where our children have to go through yet another realm of assessments, that do not necessarily substantiate how "intelligent" they are or how they interpret information that is presented to them and therefore what and how they learn, but how the schools teach and therefore what the children have retained.

I know that sounds really negative about the SATS and to be honest I have until recently felt that they were a reasonable measure to provide information on my child's strengths and weaknesses.

However because we changed schools for Year 6(against my better judgement for various reasons), but were assured that his academic development/improvement would not suffer, only to find that it does not appear from his practice SAT results that he has improved since Yr 5; I have come to this conclusion because along with his 11+ result and the fact that even he has said that the teaching methods have been so dramatically different that he has found this quite difficult to accommodate. Therefore if he can see this and says that different teaching methods have a different effect on different children, then surely these SATS are not a measure of the individual, but of their "educational experience" whilst at primary(infants/junior) school.

I am really worried that he is not going to come out with 3 level 5's which he has always been predicted to get and got level 3's across the board at KS1, and that this is not going to stand him in good stead at grammar school.

He has had a lot of worries recently about going to grammar school for personal reasons, i.e. bullying and I think he is now also worried that if he does not get level 5's that the bully will "use" this against him.

More than that the school had them doing practice SAT Papers all last week and I do not think that was such a good idea the week before, surely they are in danger of burningout!

Sorry all a bit of a "moan" I know, but I am worried that the impact of changing primary schools, the bullying and the decision to accept his grammar school place and the fact that he has had a year away from this bully and will now have to face him again, that this is all having a real negative effect on him and there is only so much that I can do to "counteract and reassure" him. He has said that if he does not get lvl5's that maybe it would be best if he does not go to grammar school, but I think this is him trying to find an excuse to "get away" from the bully as he is devistated that he did not get lvl 5's in his practice papers.

Any comments

Post by Guest »

Why don't you post this in the KS2 Sats section? I am sure you will get more replies.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Having taught at a Grammar school I can assure you that not all children have 3 level 5s. In Buckinghamshire about two thirds of the children at Grammar school arrive with 3 level 5s. As the scores on the papers are also transferred as well as the level this means that schools are aware of someone who missed by one mark.

Please reassure your child!
SJ

Post by SJ »

Thanks I will reassure him and as I have told him despite everything he passed his 11+ with a very creditable score and the SATS are not a true measure of him as an individual.
ANDREW THE POET

SATS KILLING THE CURRICULUM

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Schools certainly seem to flog the SATS practice papers to death - I've been working in schools across the UK every week & most seem to have started in November. My son's school was OK about this, but you have to question the way some schools allow these tests to hijack the curriculum for such a protracted period of time. My son will get relatively modest results in his SATS - his literacy skills remain questionable despite scoring high in the 11+. However, I'm sure it's the 11+ results which carry more weight. Besides, Spalding does its own CATS testing and I KNOW there can be general scepticism in secondary schools about the value of SATS information. Children can vary enormously in ability yet come out with the same SATS score. I didn't make an issue out of the SATS business - I thought our son had been through enough with the 11+. I think it's important now to be positive about our child's 'choice' of secondary - for their sake. I
(Enjoying a quiet weekend as son off on scout centenary thing - freedom until Monday!)
Andrew
Sorry I don't post much. As indicated pre-11+ exams, I have a very ill wife who just won't get better! (Must be my lack of bedside manner!)

Post by Guest »

sorry to hear about your wife Andrew.
you have to question the way some schools allow these tests to hijack the curriculum for such a protracted period of time.
When my son did his SATS he was flogged to death before the SATS and then did no work at all for the rest of the year. Made year 6 rather a waste of time really.
ANDREW THE POET

MORE GRUMBLINGS

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

I'm sure many will be able to identify with the last post, re 'guest'. I don't know how common an experience this might be with parents. As I say, my son's school is rather more enlightened. However, I'd be furious if I thought my son's YR6 was going to be about cramming SATS into the second term and then simply marking time post-SATS. This is unforgivable. I've nothing against a freeing-up of the curriculum, but only the the last couple of weeks. Have done this myself as a one-time teacher.
Thanks for the comment, re wife following a heart-attack. I only mentioned this as I did seek advice on this forum in support of a possible appeal on the grounds of my wife's illness should my son fail his 11+. Thankfully, not necessary.
Enjoy the rain - CENTENARY CAMP cut short, so not quite the quiet time we'd hoped!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As a Secondary teacher the attitude of some Primaries drives me mad!! How can it benefit children to focus exclusively on NC test preparation then do no work from May to September??

I'm all for enriching the curriculum but the pupils need to be prepared for the different challenges of secondary school e.g. having different teachers, independent research. Lots of scope for really interesting activities here ...
FRUSTRATED PARENT

SATS-URATION POINT

Post by FRUSTRATED PARENT »

I'm STRONGLY considering removing my daughter from primary school in the last few weeks prior to secondary. There's a sense of 'it's all over' now the SATS are complete and they have spent the remaing time 'playing' on laptops (six sessions in one week!) and 'drawing' ...... Prior to this, SATS 'work' started in NOVEMBER. She is effectively going to have had nine months without very much in the way of quality teaching prior to secondary school. If I remove her, then at least I'd have chance to keep her abreast of the basics. The problem is that not only do standards drop, but attitudes suffer too as children become bored and unfocused. We're also in Spalding.
patricia

Post by patricia »

This thread probably needs to be in the KS2 section, however...

In Bucks most Primaries start booster SATs practice 5 weeks in advance of the real tests. Once the tests are over, it' s BACK TO WORK.

There is still a national curriculum to be completed, Literacy and Numeracy hours STILL have to be fulfilled. As a general rule of thumb, the very last week of term is commonly a much more relaxed time.

Then of course there is KS3 round the corner, Uppers and Grammars go through exactly the same process with copious amounts of planned revision lessons.

Personally I think that boosters [ kS2 and 3] are a good idea it's good revision practice.

Patricia