Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:24 pm 

Hi, I was told by my Year 4 DS's teacher that currently (beginning of Year 4), DS is at Level 3C for maths and English (reading at Level 4 though). She said he is progressing nicely and should be on Level 3A or even Level 4C by end of Year 4. This means, according to the teacher, that he should achieve Level 5 by the time he sits for 11+. The teacher is very experienced and has been with the school for many, many years and I hope (and like to trust) she is correct.

It's just that I wonder if anyone with experience can tell me if this is considered fairly a good level at Year 4?

Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:57 pm 

I just wanted to say that levels are not the be all and end all. My DD was level 5a's across the board by the end of year 5 and still did not pass the 11+ for one of the schools she wanted (Their test was english, maths and VR. Her strongest subjects) Happily, she did pass the 11+ for the other grammar school that tested on VR and NVR, which we considered her weaker subjects. From reading on here I would say that level 5 in Year 6 is considered good enough to give it a go. But saying that I'm sure children have passed who were not quite at level 5.
You know your DS, if you want him to sit the 11+ and would prefer a Grammar school over your local high schools, then why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:02 pm 

I think (from memory) a level 3b at the end of year 4 is average, so anything above that is good. Reading is usually higher than the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:13 pm 

Hi
It is unusual for a child to progress a whole level in a year, though not unheard of, especially if the child was underachieving. I would expect a rise from 3C to 3A in a year. It should take 2 years to move one level. If a child is at 3C end of Y3 / beginning Y4 you would expect them to be at 4A / 5C by end of Y6.
As mitasol said 3B is average for Y4, 4B Y6.
And as Nathair said SAT scores not always useful for predicting success at 11+, but very useful for appeal if necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:19 pm 

Only good in appeal if you've actually achieved them. Most of the appeals panels I've been at (don't ask!) have not been interested in predictions.
bougalou