Past SATs papers free to download

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Hoping for grammar school but OOC so may not get place. Thinking more along lines if we went to appeal to gain a place would have to prove DC of high ability so 3 level 5s minimum.
I know results won't be out but school work I guess would need to show level 5s. I don't want to get a tutor as the Qs v easy for me to teach, just not sure if any extra work is necessary.
Am usually foot off the pedal sort - hence my late consideration here given Sats not so far off. First DC got 2 5s but was told just missed 5 in maths, but excelled so far ahead in all other areas I didn't fret so much (and doing v well now at maths in grammar school).
2nd DC isn't far off i don't think but I do find it odd that not already at a 5 given DC's ability (was a whizz at codes etc...for 11+) - really wonder about quality of primary teaching...
2togo

Post by 2togo »

Ahh yes. Hadn't even considered the appeals angle - sorry. Those lovely experts in Appeals would almost certainly know how important it is in your area should you end up in that position. Is it worth posting a quick question on there? In any case, fingers crossed that this is purely an academic line of enquiry, and that you get your first choice come 1st / 2nd March! Good luck
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

thnks 2togo, am going for the foot off the pedal approach with the belief (naively or not) that my DC is in school for 6 hours a day and that should be enough to prove ability (even given school's flaws), so no tutor or extra work, and if DC doesn't make the grade in terms of high Sats (11+ already proven) then so be it - if DC does make the grades then GS worth fighting for - but only then. Have 1 DC in grammar and I know many there do struggle - don't want mine to be one of those. My belief is DC will be fine but am well aware that as a parent I am biased...
moved

Post by moved »

Over the half term you could give him a SATs paper, either paper 1 or 2 and then mark it. You can get the mark scheme and then scale it to see what level he gets. That way you will know if he is operating at a suitable level or not.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Moved, having marked the paper how do you equate it to a level? I have used the Emaths site for a paper but can't seem to find out how to get a level from the mark my DS got.
moved

Post by moved »

If you follow the link below and work out his percentage score then you can read the level for that paper straight from the list.
http://testsandexams.qcda.gov.uk/18985.aspx
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks Moved :)
pipkin

Post by pipkin »

Can anyone explain to me why it appears that Year 6 pupils can only achieve a highest of level 5, and also is this split into sub categories??
moved

Post by moved »

Year 6 can only obtain a level 5 in the SAT exams. You are not given subcategories.

In some schools there is teacher assessment for above L5 pupils; this will depend on your school and teacher.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

All of these are very helpful. Thank you.