Proposed boycott of SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MedwayMumof1

Proposed boycott of SATS

Post by MedwayMumof1 »

Having seen the news yesterday, I see that the teacher vote is in favour of boycotting this year's SATS testing in May and a decision will be made next week.

Whilst to a certain extent, I think there is too much emphasis on SATS by the schools, I will be disappointed if they are cancelled.

My dd has been preparing for SATS since the start of 2010 (although had no 11+ prep) and is really keen to achieve a level 5 across the 3 subjects. I too was hoping she would achieve her goal as she has worked incredibly hard.

How will this affect the start of year 7 if the Secondary school has no baseline from the year 6 tests?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Secondary schools usually start the year with CAT tests, thereby having there own guide/baseline for the Pupils progression. KS2 results are kept on record for reference. As the year progresses the teachers make their own evaluations of the levels they perceive each child to be at. Therefore KS2 is more about the schools achievement.

As a parent it's good to know what level your child is at also.
If that isn't this June parents will be advised by the secondary school either via an end of term report or parents evening. (OT I personally prefer the Secondary school parents evening and their candor, unlike the PC types I had to sit through at Primary. :D )
jingle

Post by jingle »

I am going to wade in here with my own opinion which is that I would be happy to see sats go altogether.
I do not believe they are being used for the purpose for which they were intended and have become a competitive measurement of children, many of whom are 'preparing' at home for these tests anyway. How is this an accurate assessment of how well the school/teachers are performing. Despite my assurances that it is the school being assessed rather than the children, my son and many of his friends feel stressed and overworked with ridiculous amounts of sats orientated homework to do over Easter.
I feel there must be a better way and would be very interested to hear a teachers perspective.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Tests of some description will still go ahead. These will be assessed by the teacher and these grades will be passed onto to the new schools.

Secondaries don't tend to put too weight on the ks2 sats anyway as a lot of the results are inflated by obscene amounts of homework/parental work and also they want to assess the intake themselves.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I have never been a fan of SATs but recognise the amount of preparation the children in year 6 do. I feel it is unfair of heads and teachers to prevent this current year from doing the SATS at this late stage. If they want to boycott next year at least then the children would not spend a whole 12 months in preparation - at the end of the day they should put the children first.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Looking for help wrote:If they want to boycott next year at least then the children would not spend a whole 12 months in preparation
Noooooooooo Loopy not next year, I am hoping it will be sorted this year if sats are going to continue or not. :(
Impossible is Nothing.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Can anyone shed any light on why science was scrapped but not maths and English?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

KS10
I think it wasn't useful and the same questions, worded slightly differently, came up every year.
Nationally 88% got level 4 or above, 43% got level 5, last year.
I suspect it's expensive to run and parents are more interested in the maths and English results in the league tables.
I'd be quite happy for SATs and league tables to go.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks WW.

I was a bit annoyed when just the one was scrapped. I was convinced there would be another announcement soon after saying that SATs were no more, but that didn't happen.

DS's teacher recently admitted that they are struggling with something called APS(?) in science. It sounds like a complete nightmare! If SATs go, and I too hope they do, I wonder if their replacement will be manageable.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now