Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sj355,

KS2 NC tests are not marked by the school -
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Guest55 wrote:Sj355,

KS2 NC tests are not marked by the school -
Yes, you are right about this. Who marks them by the way?

However what I said about the school level. probably also applies at a more general level (say LEA?) given the desire for high league results by each borough.
sj355
jah

Post by jah »

I recently found one of year 10 daughter's year 6 books. The writing was beautifully neat, and nothiing like how she writes now!!

I asked her why she writes so untidily now, and she just said that the year 6 writing wasn't really her natural handwriting. I've tried pointing out that writing isn't actually a very natural thing to do. But the fact remains, we've just had parents' evening and one of her targets is to neaten up! If she could do it 4 years ago, why can't she do it now?????
:?

Teenagers! huh!!
sj355

Post by sj355 »

jah wrote:I recently found one of year 10 daughter's year 6 books. The writing was beautifully neat, and nothiing like how she writes now!!

I asked her why she writes so untidily now, and she just said that the year 6 writing wasn't really her natural handwriting. I've tried pointing out that writing isn't actually a very natural thing to do. But the fact remains, we've just had parents' evening and one of her targets is to neaten up! If she could do it 4 years ago, why can't she do it now?????
:?

Teenagers! huh!!
Oh my! Will my son also suffer a relapse later on?! :cry:
sj355
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thanks HP,

No.2 son has a terrible pen grip problem (Thumb curls over touching knuckle, almost).

So had a ferret in WHSmiths, and came across a Stabilo S'move pen. Peculiar shape, but grips in correct place. No.2 son has taken to it incredibly well. Will wait and see if he keeps up with it, (but I've also added an incentive to sweeten the pot :wink: )

So far would definitely recommend it!!

BW
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KS2 tests are marked by an exam board - not by the LA!!
moose

thoughts on handwriting

Post by moose »

My son also had quite terrible writing and similarily to INEX's son improved SOOO much after tutoring for only three months!
Firstly his tutor payed attention to his writing unlike his school teachers who were critisising, but were unable to correct his posture or the way he held his pencil!. Nobody told him at school that he should be holding his pen between thumb . index and middle finger - he developed nasty habit of holding pen between thumb, middle and ring fingers, which caused cramps in his hand, as a result the thought of hanwriting was giving him creeps!. I used the way 'nasty habit' , becausee it is almost impossible to change. I have tried for many years. Unfortunately since he used to write a lot in school and comparatively next to nothing at home it proved to be imposibble to eradicate. So watch out from the very start.
He still holds his pen incorrectly most of the time, but since he writes much more now (weekly esseys for his tutor -draft and then re-writing) and started writing with my old fashioned fountain pen and under my supervision, it improved a lot!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now