Can a bright child progress to the top set without help?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiredmum

Re: Can a bright child progress to the top set without help?

Post by tiredmum »

mystery wrote:How much time per week on average did you spend doing extra during your catch-up period?
Because my dd was older(start yr 5) i asked her if she would like to catch up with her maths and that it would mean extra work. She said she did as she was not happy being in one of the lower groups. She has a very active social life so i fitted the extra work around that. We did approx half hour, every eve, monday through to thursday and then about an hour on a sat or sun, whichever fitted in. But we did not sway from this, it became routeen. I went back to year 3 maths and progressed through. If she was doing a topic at school(teacher informed me of topics being done) i would cover that with her to help her confidence.

One thing i found was REALLY important was repetition. I would constantly need a session or two where i would just review what we had done over the previous 2 weeks to remind her. She needed this so much for it to sink in.

She also had spellings to learn for school and both maths and english school homework each week. If she had not been complient i would not have succeeded.

I was lucky i had the teachers backing and i just concentrated on maths. My dd was by then in the top group for english, even though she is a dreadful speller, and i had never given her help in this area apart from to consistantly read with her.

You can do it mystery, good luck.
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Mystery, I really sympathise and share your frustration in many areas as does my sister with her son.

I think that Rachag and others give some good advice here.

The idea that where you are currently defines your next target etc is enough to make your heart sink. My nephew brought home a picture he'd drawn, on scrap paper. On the back my sister noticed were children's next level targets, it confirmed hers and my suspicion that the child that starts ahead tends to stay ahead shall we say! Let's just say the system doesn't seem to allow for children that are really going to surprise them and come on in unexpected leaps and bounds...A good teacher will spot them and promote them accordingly of course but the way things are structured seems to mean this is not going to happen too often I'd have thought. Certainly some children are likely to slip through the net.

One of mine shows that they too are a very capable reader. When tested in class they gave a silly answer to a couple of questions, at 6 they don't have the emotional (?) maturity to demonstrate all they know and understand. The teacher has an answer box to fill in, it's either a right or wrong answer. This means that a DC of mine is currently underestimated in a similar situation to the one you and my sister are facing.

A situation where you have a child chortling away at demanding, complex chapter books at home, which they are devouring at a rate of knots and obviously 'get'. In school the same child is in a 'set' with material which is much less complex but then go into a 'test' scenario with a teacher who already has an idea of 'where they are'. They then might a couple of incorrect answers which can be used to justify their continued position in that group. This official assessment only happens once a term, etc. Ongoing assessment will be to see if they can do various things expected at the level they are currently working towards etc. It's a system that might work for some children but not all. Well, you can understand the potential flaws in the system. They really need to distinguish themselves I think to get ahead. If you go in to cross question the teacher you are doubting their assessment criteria, their judgement and ultimately them. I can see why many would be defensive. They are working to rules and implementing a mandatory system which works for the most part.

Quietly working at home will definitely help as others have said. Also I'd say work on their confidence. One of mine is being heralded as being much more intellectually capable than I think they are truth be told :). They've always been over estimated if anything. What makes them stand out? Their complete self belief and confidence. They answer questions loudly and boldly. They are quick to tell the teacher if they can do more and they have constantly been promoted through sets etc, teachers always write positive comments about them etc. I think this has partly come through social activities outside of school so don't ignore the social side. I'd be interested to hear if others had found this too?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

don;t forget all the small things that you can do everyday to help boost confidence..

games of scrabble and boggle, sudoku, yahtzee, helping with measuring and weighing in the kitchen, adapting recipes for different quantities, playing darts,word games in the car....just as valuable ( if not more so) than workbooks. Then there are all the useful online games for tables practice etc.
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi Mystery

Sorry to hear that your school is not supportive. It is a shame because at the end of the day, this will help the teacher too. I can't believe you volunteer in the school and that's how they treat you!

We had a similar negative experience in his first school (small indie); when we asked for more feedback from the new Y1 teacher, they did not like it so I used to get some stupid comments in his feedback book about his behaviour as opposed to providing me with some valuable feedback on his work! We had quite few other issues with the school (not just us, few parents too) and took him out in the middle of Y3 despite the Y3 teacher being very good and supportive. His Second School is different; they are more supportive. Apparently, they also have a board where children can mark their names if they find a particular topic difficult so the teachers are aware.

As 'moved' and other parents said, just do more work with your child at home. You don't need to spend more than 30 mns on a daily basis, one day maths, another day English, reading... and play gamesD (Sudoku, word search, puzzles, monopoly) :) . It might be challenging at time but you really need to be patient and praise your child for the effort. Once he/she gets into a routine, you will be able to see where he needs more help and they will work at a faster pace and more independently.

For Maths, there is a good book serie from WHSmith called WHSmith Challenge Maths by age group; it starts from 7-8 (Y3). It provides an explanation on how to work out that particular subject, then they have a lot of small exercises to practice. It might start with one page and increase to few more pages once his/her confidence builds up. Answers are at the back. They have it in English but have not tried.

At next parent's evening, come half an hour earlier so you can have a good look at all his workbooks :)
Good Luck

Nefertiti
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good tips - I will take the photocopier with me too!!

Can't believe that independent schools can be so silly about it too!
Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti »

Hi Mystery
ah ah; :lol: :lol: if they were nice, you could have asked if you could use their photocopier!!!

This is a small indie which was not very subscribed. The headteacher has been changed since and some of the remaining parents seem to be happier; and I was told the top group (4 of them) are getting secondary school homework which can be challenging for the parents too.

I just hope you get a more supportive teacher next year.

Nefertiti
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hey thanks Nefertiti. There's a glimmer of hope for years 3 and 4 but not 5 and 6. But having said that, if my reputation goes ahead of me to years 3 and 4 and it amounts to an advance ban from the head of communicating with any classteacher directly, I'm not sure! I'm definitely persona non grata!
rachag

Post by rachag »

I think it is really sad that any wish to help your child with academic work at home is viewed somehow as cheating at primary level Such a view is not taken with other activities obviously - practice is expected on instruments, whatever it is they do at cricket nets is fine, out of school sports practice etc.
Parents can, and do, go over the top in any realm. To get it into perspective, most of us here are really only talking of 15-30 mins a time, not necessarily every night. This is definitely less time than it takes to pack sports kit, travel in car, park, change etc for our weekly swimming lessons and that is only one way.
I have primed my primary ones never to mention doing anything at home as it is seen in this not fair play, cheating light at school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now