SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I wasn't thinking of doing much but I am interested in all views on this. What criteria do grammars usually use for streaming? (11+, Cats, Sats, a bit of everything?)

Post by Guest »

My child's doesn't stream at all, but does MidYIS tests in year 7 to predict grades in KS3 Sats.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Catherine

Bucks grammars do not generally stream in year 7, they have the top 30% of the county. Streaming comes later and then only tends to be for maths.

Bucks Uppers will set, generally according to SATs and sometimes 11 plus scores, creaming off the top of the 'failures'

Hence why I said on page 1, might be a good idea just to go through a few papers without timing, without any form of pressure.

Most primary schools [ bucks] will have booster sessions for SATS [ paid for by the govt. ] This will also help to familiarise and also help with league tables!!!

The system is there we have to play it for our children sake/future.

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thank you Patricia with a blue name.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

My son is at an Indepentant school where they do not do SATS and all the schools around here that I have spoken to do not stream by SAT's results. Most do not stream until after christmas in yr7 and some until yr8 when the school is ablt to assess the ability of the child. I'm sure this is not one of the reasons for SAT's tests, afterall we managed without them at one time and I personally don't think it will be that long before they are abolished (or reformed in another way).
Mel

SATS

Post by Mel »

Hello everyone :D

I figured as I was the one that started this topic and having come on today after not been around for some time, I should say thank you to everyone who has responded.

I have to say I did think that SATS were a big part of a childs entrance into secondary school and they may be set accordingly. My son is bright, passed his 11+ with tuition mainly from me and I am confident he will flourish in Grammar school. However I was on the understanding that most children going to Grammar schools are expected to achieve level 5's in everything. Am I wrong??

When we practised for the 11+ it was stressful and by no means did I or do I want my child under further pressure but whilst he and I have developed a great understanding about my wanting to be involved in his school work he now takes it for granted that I will help him. I'm his mum so why shouldn't I.

Straight after the 11+ result in December our school, as mad as it was gave the children mock SATS. My son achieved the highest 5 in maths, level 4 science and level 4 English even though his teacher was shocked as she said she expected him to do better then most. He didnt finish his papers which did effect his scores and his teacher said she felt he hadn't read the papers properly in the comprehension.

The results were sent home so it was natural for me to want to practsie with him. I took some advice from the forum and have bought some papers which we have practised a little but I have to say it is very difficult as a parent to mark them, Patricia I am sure you know what I mean.

Anyway no I am not going to worry too much and neither will I pressure my son about SATS but we will do some practise occasionally if only to build his confidence for when he does the real thing.

As for someones comments about children should still be able to be kids and PLAY. Well believe me any extra work we do has to fit in and around 'HIS' active social life which is pretty much just one long holiday!! and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mel
:D

Patricia and Catherine it is good to know you are still around :D
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Nice to see you are back [ there is another Mel posting on Bucks, you will both have to come to an arrangement.

Re Sats scores in Bucks grammars, they expect level 5s, but I can assure you they don't get a blanket of 5s, I know of several children only achieving 4s, n all 3 subjects and others having a mixture of 4/5s, they still do OK.

The sad thing is that children who pass, in Bucks don't need level 5s, but children appealing need to show they are at least predicted 5s

Agree don't put too much pressure on for SATs, just look thru a few papers.

Nothing wrong with helping your child re homework, just gradually wean him off it.I used to help with projects, by doing the colouring in, very therapeutic!!

I now help by seeing if they can remember facts written on their revision flashcards, not that understand a beep word on the cards.

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

My daughter has just had a week of mock SATs. She actually found them relatively easy (apart from the science) mainly I think due to the practice for the 11+. We will get her some practice papers for science, but other than that I think the 11+ practice will stand her in good stead.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It is nice to see you back Mel.

I wasn't going to do anything at all for the SATs, but this forum made me change my mind, and I am going to do some lightweight revision.
sleepless

Post by sleepless »

65% is reasonable for a non selective. I believe the national average is around 56%. Don't quote me though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now