More loosing the will to live

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Re: More loosing the will to live

Post by scary mum »

DSs grammar school (Bucks) uses CAT tests done in the first week of year 7 to set end of KS3 targets. At his school they are set in maths in year 8 and (I think) English and science in year 9. The 11 plus would not be used in Bucks as entry is only based on a core of 121 or above and other than that the score is considered irrelevant. I can't see that there would be any use in using SATS as the vast majority at a grammar school would have all 5s.

The SATs results might, however, be very useful in a Bucks Upper School.
scary mum
wonderwoman

Re: More loosing the will to live

Post by wonderwoman »

As Ed's mum said all schools are different.

My DC grammar said they used SATs to help arrange mixed ability form groups for Y7 (made no sense to me because the primaries had not had the results back by then and I would think it highly unlikely the GS could have got its hands on results for pupils not attending their school).

Anyway assumed they ment predicted results, also they made sure there was a range of birthdays in each form and tried to mix boys and girls evenly - impossible because there are roughly 2:1 girls to boys every year.

Surprisingly though, the school did refer to previous SAT results a lot during KS3, even though they also did CATs. Pupils were frequently reminded of KS2 results and told what they had to get by the end of Y9. So if they got 5s in Y6 they had to get 7, even if they'd just scaped a 5. This is probably differnt now as Y9 SATs are no more, but ours were still nagged last year. The local secondary modern never referred to previous SATs and didn't use them for setting at all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now