Tracking Of Levels

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Tracking Of Levels

Post by scarlett »

I'm a bit worried about DS2 , but not sure if I need to be...and I have spoken to his school but am none the wiser...so sorry another problem from me...but I get better advice from here !

I'm concerned that due to certain issues at school which I won't bore you all with , my year 4 boy may not be where he should be .I just don't know really and I noly want to know so I can help him at home.Anyway, I rang the HT who was really good and did explain about some tracking system and the levels they are given to achieve.However she said DS2 is only on level to get a 4b at the end of yr6 which I am concerned about ( and which will mean I will have no need to be on here ! :( ) However I feel he is bright etc so when I said I was upset, the HT said but he is level 3a/4c now so will probably exceed those levels.

My question is....what does it all mean ?!!!! When are these predicted levels set then ? Should I take it all with a pinch of salt ? DS1 did suddenly come on in yr 5 but only I think after doing lots of work at home. He exceeded the 2 sub levels...but the teachers seem sure that most don't. I'm worried he isn't going to achieve his full potential and will the teachers go on at me that he isn't suitable for the 11 plus ?They did for DS1 and it all turned out fine but I guess I'm worried I won't be able to turn DS2 around.
scary mum

Re: Tracking Of Levels

Post by scary mum »

I'm no expert :roll: , but it seems to me that he's likely to do more in two years than go from a 3a/4c to 4b in two years. Otherwise are the school not planning on teaching him anyting in the next two years?
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Put like that I do sound like a paranoid dimmy...but I think maybe I'm worried that he's only at his level because of the work we've done at home...he didn't have a teacher for the best part of year 2....only supplies which gave them colouring in to do most days and the school still tells us there are huge gaps in their learning as a consequence...they are very apologetic but it's my little boy ! and I feel that if I don't do work with him which can be a bit draining..then will he stay on a low level ? Or can children soar through the levels...my DS1 did..but I don't know if that was a fluke.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm sure you're not a paranoid dimmy :lol: Just anxious about DS. It sounds as though you need to keep on top of it to make sure he doesn't stall, but isn't that why you are interested in EPE - you will anyway. In my experience they all go up the levels, or reading ability or whatever in slight fits and starts and at different ages, so yes, plenty of time for a sudden soaring through levels. DD had a sudden soar, but not until year 7, rather inconveniently! She is now in the right place though.
scary mum
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Only discovered last term that the school set 'targets' for the end of Year 6 when the kids take Key Stage 1 SATs. These seem to be intentionally low - eg DD has a target of 5c for Maths - and she was a 5b at the end of Year 5!
The targets seem to translate roughly as an advance of 2 whole sections between the age of 7 and 11. Was Scarlett-son a 2b in the Key Stage 1 SATs?
mad?

Post by mad? »

push-pull-mum wrote:Only discovered last term that the school set 'targets' for the end of Year 6 when the kids take Key Stage 1 SATs. These seem to be intentionally low - eg DD has a target of 5c for Maths - and she was a 5b at the end of Year 5!
The targets seem to translate roughly as an advance of 2 whole sections between the age of 7 and 11. Was Scarlett-son a 2b in the Key Stage 1 SATs?
This is exactly what happened at DDs' primary...hence all theyounger kids were targetted at a lower level. These weren't the individual child's targets but what what was required of the school to meet its target...that is 2 whole levels in KS2. I still worried that these targets might also equate to lower expectations which wold have bee a concern. It transpires that they did not, so I wish they had never mentioned the whole cabboodle in the first place!
mad?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi

4B is average for Y6 - so not at all bad.

All children are tracked throughout primary to ensure they make adequate progress. Children should make one level's progress every 2 years, roughly 2 sub-levels a year, but not many children progress in a nice neat line.

Formal targets are set for Y6 at the beginning of Y5 - they are challenging and realistic. It is in the school's interest to get as many as possible up to level 5.

I wouldn't worry about a target of 4B at all, as that means there are probably no real issues, just encourage enjoyment of learning.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

wonderwoman wrote:Hi

4B is average for Y6 - so not at all bad.

All children are tracked throughout primary to ensure they make adequate progress. Children should make one level's progress every 2 years, roughly 2 sub-levels a year, but not many children progress in a nice neat line.

Formal targets are set for Y6 at the beginning of Y5 - they are challenging and realistic. It is in the school's interest to get as many as possible up to level 5.

I wouldn't worry about a target of 4B at all, as that means there are probably no real issues, just encourage enjoyment of learning.
If formal targets were set at the beginning of Y5 at DD's school why would neither child nor self be made aware of them? The targets we were given were the ones set at the end of Y2 - which she had already met.

4B may well be average for Y6 but here in elevenplusland average (sadly) doesn't tend to cut it.

If I were Scarlett I'd be keeping an eye on the school - and making the odd trip to Waterstones as well. :)
In fact - that's what I do anyway. :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks everyone for your useful as ever replies. Had another chat with HT and she says the yr 4 will be taking their sats soon so we can look at those results and also in yr 5 they will be setting the more relevant target/challenges so I shall make sure I will find out what those are.My friend who is a teacher assessor is going to arrange for one of her colleagues to assess DS to see if he does have gaps or perhaps everything is ok and then I can finally stop worrying !
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Two sub levels per year considered appropriate. Therefore if 4c end of year 4, should be 4a end of year 5 and 5b end of year 6. Not overly scientific but this is considered the most likely progress.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now