My Friend Needs Your Help !

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: My Friend Needs Your Help !

Post by scarlett »

I think she feels she won't be able to match our quick wit :D I did tell her that it's usually builds up...one moment you're discussing maths in a sensible fashion next it's smirks all round involving something completely random.Her child is in an area where the grammar places are far and few between so will probably become addicted to this place fairly soon, as she is worried.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think she feels she won't be able to match our quick wit
Seems unlikely :lol:
scary mum
Billie

Post by Billie »

I thought I'd give some perspective from 11+ and secondary school CAT tests.
My ds didn't do CAT tests pre 11+, but did do a school based NVR and VR test in year 3 and 5 (prob NFER). He was slightly above average, nothing outstanding according to the tests, but I knew he was a bright hardworking boy. We did 11+ familiarisation at home, just me tutoring, nothing ott.
He got a great score and went to a fantastic GS ( Judd for those of you in Kent).
He is a hard worker and gets As/ A*s (except Latin which is lost on him).
He is now in year 8. In the Autumn he did a CAT test - not feeling well on the day, did pretty rubbish.... what these scores have done is revise downwards his projected levels for KS 3. Interestingly they seem to use them to indicate how he could do in all subjects, so....despite being about to take a grade 6 music exam we get a predicted level 4 for music at the end of KS3!
His marks at school have not changed so still As/ A*s.

So what I would say is... the scores are just a guide and I would not rely on them for making decisions about whether to do 11+. Try some 11+ familiarisation and see how he gets on. If he wants to do it and is motivated then even better... go for it!
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

scarlett wrote:I think she feels she won't be able to match our quick wit :D I did tell her that it's usually builds up...one moment you're discussing maths in a sensible fashion next it's smirks all round involving something completely random.Her child is in an area where the grammar places are far and few between so will probably become addicted to this place fairly soon, as she is worried.
Ooh, is it Essex? Get her signed up! I need someone else to be bitter and cynical with. :D
marigold

Post by marigold »

Very happy to be as bitter and cynical as you like PPM......just get me started, current loathing is people who fail to pay for things they have won on ebay.
mystery

Post by mystery »

http://www.nationalstrategiescpd.org.uk ... erview.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above looks like really good link for your friend. It shows that even the scores of 109 place her son close to being in the top 26% of the population. Then take into account that CAT tests and 11+ tests are really quite different, and there becomes no reason why her son shouldn't have as good a chance as anyone else.

There seem to be lots of examples on here of CAT scores not relating to Kent 11+scores - it was the same with my stepson - the CAT scores would have indicated a borderline pass, his test scores were Judd-like. Another measurement for us to ignore Scarlett? :wink:

You say competition is high for places in her area ........ but either it's based on distance or score isn't it, so she when she fills in the school choice form she will have already have a good idea of her chances of getting a place either based on the score he actually had and the usual cut-off score, or the distance she lives and the usual cut-off.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Also worth bearing in mind that when a child is given these tests at school they might not treat as something that matters; if it's just another piece of work they are given to do and their mind was on better things at the time, they might not be giving it their full attention and effort. On the other hand, most children will be concentrating as hard as they can during the 11+ as they know it matters in some way; of course nerves will affect some adversely but many will perform better than they might if it was just another piece of paper passed across their desk at school with no indication that it was of significance.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks for that Mystery. My friend lives in Kent ...I'll wait until she comes out of the wood work in case she doesn't want to reveal where ....but if he passes with a superselective score he will be ok !

I'd like to know if my boys took CAT tests now. It's ice cream day at school so maybe it will be a good time to ask ( especially if I buy the HT one with 2 flakes ! :) I can't imagine DS1 to have had high scores...he told me the other day that he waited until the day of the 11 plus to really concentrate properly on the questions and feels quite pleased with himself that he pulled it out of the bag ! :evil:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now