SATS results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Re: SATS results

Post by scarlett »

Another of your aliases , perhaps Herman.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I am really pleased with our sats results too. I know the comprehension was a hard one this year, and the definate grade 5s really did struggle with it. In fact they thought the new level 6 comprehension was easier! Our sats results are important to us, and for the school to be shown as doing well. I am fully aware that a each group of children in that year can be a bright year or a special needs year, and the results gained are a reflection of that.i know our secondary schools used those results initially to set them.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

How come we have heard nothing? Are the results send at different times to schools or perhaps counties?
Impossible is Nothing.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

sherry_d wrote:How come we have heard nothing? Are the results send at different times to schools or perhaps counties?
I think the schools decide when to send the results out. DCren's school usually just include them with the end of year report (which, I think, comes out at the end of the week)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sherry, my DC school knows the results but the parents don't.Presumably we find out in their end of year reports?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Oh that explains it, perhaps we will get ours with her school report.
Impossible is Nothing.
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

They were just received in school on Tuesday. Maybe they are putting the results on the report rather than telling them verbally?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

While I really don’t want to argue with the excellent Katel or Hermann, it is perhaps worth pointing out that they may be of some use at some schools in some circumstances – DD’s upper school for example uses KS2 SATs as the main determinant of setting in the first year. In the days of science SATs at least, this did matter a bit because only the top sets are allowed to do triple science.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

would be a sensible use of them Rob, particularly when they did science SATs. I hope that it wasn't all done on this and that there was allowed to be some "shake down" (or up ) in the sets during the first year to ensure people were in the right place?

My only experience of SATS was filling in a form for senior schools which said "KS2 SATs results (if taken)".. and was told it was " no problem" if they hadn't done them.
katel

Post by katel »

Some schools may use them to some extent for setting - but I would eat my hat if practically every child of anyone who posts on here isn't a 4a/5 er.

The important thing is that SATS test the ^school^. Parents doing practice papers and coaching for them skews the results and lets some schools off the hook. So the more people get the idea that they are important for the individual child, the more some schools are bailed out by parents.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now