2012 KS2 tests and level 6 tests

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: 2012 KS2 tests and level 6 tests

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/tea ... /keystage2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the official book - it might say the answer.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Example of last years level 6 maths can be found here to give an idea of content/level.
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

http://www.usethekey.org.uk/popular-art ... hey-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found this to be a useful site
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!
Namajo

Post by Namajo »

Our Yr 6 DD brought home a letter to day from her Islington state Primary which said:

Your child has been entered for the level 6 assessment tasks in May. Your child will still need to take the statutory 3-5 level tests and gain a level 5, as well as achieve a level 6, in order to be awarded level 6.

Your child will be entered for level 6 in:
Long writing task - 8 May
Reading comp – 21 May
Maths – 22 May
Short writing task – 23 May

As I’m typing this, I’m wondering if the long writing task on 8 May will be externally assessed, as it’s being given so much earlier than the others. I’ll ask the school and report back to you all.

Namajo
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The link I provided above states:

"2012 test dates

The 2012 Key Stage 2 National Curriculum tests will be held in the week beginning 14 May 2012.

Externally marked tests will take place in:

* mathematics
* reading.

Externally marked level 6 tests in reading and mathematics will be available to schools in 2012 to administer to eligible pupils on an optional basis.

These tests will take place on Monday 21 May and Tuesday 22 May 2012."

IMHO this is a lot of additional tests for little benefit for your child.
Namajo

Post by Namajo »

Further to my earlier post, I have now received the following reply from our school about whether there will be any external assessment this year (though I can’t say I’m very clear about what a 'teacher assessment judgement’ is…..

There has been a change this year to the writing papers. All the writing will now be assessed internally and helped to inform a teacher assessment judgement of how each pupil has been performing over a period of time prior to the sats; including class work, homework etc. The government are trialling the process this year.

All reading and maths papers for all levels will be externally assessed, although we have a very good idea already of what we expect each pupil to achieve.

We have also been selected as a sample school for science so all the pupils will also take two science papers - we do not have a choice in this. The results will not be used for any data, merely to inform the government of how effectively science is being taught in primary schools.

Hope this helps.

Namajo
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Namajo - why are you repeating the information I have already posted from the official publication?
Namajo

Post by Namajo »

Hi Guest55

I have PM'ed you with my reasons.

Regards

Namajo
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The writing dates are NOT official and will vary from school to school.

As in previous years since 2010, some children will sit the Science tests but they do not get the results of these.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:As in previous years since 2010, some children will sit the Science tests but they do not get the results of these.
My DS1 sat these Science papers the year before last. The school got the results but not down to individual children, ie 60% level 4s or whatever it was. It was an interesting exercise for DS as he had not had a single Science lesson since January, given that every day was taken up with preparing for the English and Maths tests. As indeed DS2's days are spent now...including, it now seems, 2 lessons a week preparing for a level 6 Maths paper. We have had no official communication from the school about this but were told at parents' evening that assuming he gets level 5 in the 'proper' paper, he will sit the level 6.

My views on this are well known and accord quite closely with those of G55. I would love some advice from anyone who can help with the diplomacy in a household where one child is in Year 8 and is at level 7b in Maths, thought he was doing rather well; and another child is in Year 6 and is being led to believe he is Level 6. I do not wish to bruise the ego of either child...so have settled for 'well it's not really level 6, but it does mean DS2 is doing very well; and yes DS1, you are doing very well too'. Happily both know what a crashing cynic they have for a mother, but I could do without the politically correct line I am now trying to toe - it just doesn't suit me.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now