The return of Level 6 tests in Reading, Writing and Maths

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
la boume

Re: The return of Level 6 tests in Reading, Writing and Math

Post by la boume »

Mystery- i found an article, but not on the website. It was published in Junior May 2011, called The Late readers by Susan Walls. It seems to be based on some case studies and EP's research.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Amber, I think you misunderstood me. What I am saying is that if a child's reading is "good enough" (i.e. their decoding is fluent enough for them not to lose the gist of it whilst decoding) for a particular text, they should be able to understand it to the same degree when they read it as they would if it is read to them. And yes, in general, beginner readers will be able to understand more complex books that could be read to them than the ones they can read to themselves. ...... But this might not always be the case. In a foreign language I would have more luck at understanding a book that I read through myself than if someone read it out to me at the speed of a native speaker. There may be some children for whom English is a first language who are like this too - deaf children spring to mind amongst others.

Yes, we learn the meaning of new words from their context; so if lots of interesting but slightly challenging books are read out loud to us our vocabulary will expand, and our writing style will improve. However our vocabulary and written style can improve in a similar way through reading can't it?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I am still trying to work out how my son was assessed at level 5c at the end of yr 4 and my dd was assessed at level 4a at the end of yr 5. DD is now in yr 6 ( and passed 11+ phew) DS is in yr 5 due to do 11+ this October.

Both children do maths together in top yr 6 maths group but DD gets harder homework. It is usually the same type of question but DD's will be harder questions which seems odd as DS is obviously brighter at maths and can do the home work dd is doing.

I have not been told about level 6 assessment coming back but would be pleased if that is the case. The maths teacher has made comments to the children that he has got "plans" for this particular group with regards to SATS
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The maths teacher has made comments to the children that he has got "plans" for this particular group with regards to SATS

This is the EXACTLY why the tests are bad - if the children are really level 6 they should be doing level 6 work every day ... not just doing it for the KS2 tests. :cry: :cry:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

They might be- DD says they are doing yr7 maths as she was in the yr 6 maths group last yr while she was yr5.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What level is the work though?
Level 5 is Year 7 as level 4 is the 'expected' level in Year 6 - as a Secondary Maths teacher I really wish the Primary schools would not venture into level 6. There is plenty of time for level 6 in Secondary school and acceleration in Maths historically does not have good outcomes.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Guest55 wrote:What level is the work though?
Level 5 is Year 7 as level 4 is the 'expected' level in Year 6 - as a Secondary Maths teacher I really wish the Primary schools would not venture into level 6. There is plenty of time for level 6 in Secondary school and acceleration in Maths historically does not have good outcomes.
Yes but what do you do with my ds who is likely to be level 5a by the end of yr 5 - his teacher told me this term he gave him last years KS2 Sats level 5 paper to do and he did really well in it - if he can already do the level 5 work what does he do in yr6?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:What level is the work though?
I do so agree with you. My own son is apparently going to take a level 6 paper, though not if I have anything to do with it.

I would like to ask those who are so keen for their children to do secondary maths at primary school: what would you like them to do at secondary school? University level maths? And at university? Post doctoral stuff? I really, genuinely do not understand why anyone thinks it is good to march ahead all the time. Breadth is so much more valuable to young minds than depth. And there is only so far you can go - even if you are the biggest whizz at Maths your primary school has ever seen. KS2 has plenty in it to provide challenge and if a child 'can do' all the leel 5 stuff at age 10 or whatever, then great, he can do something else for a while.. The only reason schools want to do level 6 is to show off in league tables - it will not confer any advantage on a child at all.
Last edited by Amber on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So did my DS - full marks at KS2 - but I still did not want him 'accelerated'. He had a great Year 6 which set him up well for GS ...l

There are PLENTY of enrichment activities - the NRICH website, Primary Maths challenge, UKMT junior maths challenges, etc. Mathematics is about problem solving not just learning new topics and that's what the teacher should really be doing - let them enjoy their Maths ...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry Amber -our posts crossed.

I agree with everything you say ... just think 'Ruth Lawrence' if anyone ever gets tempted to 'accelerate'.