The return of Level 6 tests in Reading, Writing and Maths

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: The return of Level 6 tests in Reading, Writing and Math

Post by mystery »

Sticking my neck out here, younger children could maybe learn to read English in a matter of months with synthetic phonics if it was well used. I taught one of my children with a "mixed methods approach", the other with synthetic phonics. I can tell you which one was no slog at all ........ but this is not a scientific study!!

There's something about us humans which is always making us try and teach things to children which they would learn faster if they were older - it can be applied to almost anything you can think of. But probably if we waited to keep everything until later, the results might not be great.

Here's some comparative education on a micro scale - I knew a French national who lived in the US with her children for many years. She thought the standards in American schools were very low compared with France, so they followed the French national curriculum at home in addition to the US curriculum! They were then able to slot back in to the French system at 14 or so and went on to elite universities. She felt that if she had kept entirely to the US curriculum her children would have been several years behind on the return to France. Who knows? And does it matter? I don't know. I guess any government's job is to try and establish an education system that will enable their population help the country to economic success in future years.

What is the answer Amber?
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

Wow, lots of interesting comments on here in relation to accelerated learning. I’m sure that there are leading experts who would debate the case one way or the other and I’m sure both sides would have valid points. However, as it pertains to my child, I like to treat her as an individual with individual needs and acknowledge that she has her own learning pace, which will be different from other children. This is evident in DD’s class where you have children ranging from level 2b to 5a for Maths. Every child’s learning path is different!

By the time DD has finished year 6 she will have been on level 5a Maths for 22 months. Hence, my concern about her treading water – it’s my understanding that there is an expectation for children to progress 2 sub levels each year (please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). If I’m correct, then she has been unable to progress for almost 2 years even though she is clearly ready and able. So, yes, I’m supportive of Level 6 work being introduced into primary schools as it will benefit some children who are able to work at the higher end of the spectrum.

Fortunately for DD, her teacher who knows her very well and is very supportive of her acknowledges that she does need something else and has provided her with Level 6 work to do at home. Frankly, I’m quite grateful for this as she loves maths and I wouldn’t want her to lose her enthusiasm for maths. Bless the teacher who knows her students!

I’m sure that if the Level 6 work is introduced in schools that the relevant steps would be taken to ensure teachers are trained appropriately to undertake this task.
katel

Post by katel »

I the mistake people make is thinking that because a child is at a particular level that's the level of the work they do. My ds has been a level 5 reader since the beginning of year 5, I think, but just because that's the highest level he can be tested to that he's not moving on to harder and harder books.

You don't fatten a pig by weighing it!
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Whether Amber would be the most knowledgeable person on comparative education who has ever visited this website I would not put a bet on - and that is not intended as an insult to Amber. It is impossible to know.
I don't think that is what Rob was suggesting, and I certainly wouldn't claim it for myself. I only post the type of things I do because to me they seem pertinent to the debate, not to hold myself up as some kind of guru or expert. The literature is out there for anyone interested enough to read it.

What is the answer Amber?
I do not have an 'answer' to your anecdote about your friend. I am glad her children are so successful despite what she feels was a less than optimal start to their education.

I am going to butt out of this now - debating the merits of synthetic phonics for 4 year olds is not something I want to get involved in, and I doubt my contribution will add any value at this stage. :)
la boume

Post by la boume »

There is an article for you Mystery,
http://www.juniormagazine.co.uk/educati ... ol/81.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was another article in Junior about the early reading(before school age).Can't find it now, but basically a few kids coming into Reception being able to decode letters, with no comprehension.

About your franco-american friend, Mystery-well done to her, it is huge amount of work to support two different curriculums in two different languages. For most of us, supporting just language skills as speaking, reading and writing is hard enough and takes a sugnificant amount of family time.

And back to OP now-yes, my DD's school is re-introducing level 6 paper this year.
They said that just a few cherry-picked children can do it. DD is sitting on level 5a since the end of year 5, but not sure if she will sit it or not. either way i am not going to be exited or gutted. It is enough for me to know that DD loves math (I hate math!) and enjoys learning, and has a fun teacher this year.
Daogroupie- surely your DD's have moved on since primary school, why are they gutted? Must be lot's of math challenges at secondary school.
Last edited by la boume on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad?

Post by mad? »

What a great article la bourne, wish I had read it before embarking on the primary parent journey! Sound advice and I guess it is good for all of us to be reminded of perspective and respect at times. Thank you!
mad?
aargh

Post by aargh »

I particularly like the suggestion of presents.
My Mum was a teacher for 40 years. At her last school, seemingly just because she is Scottish several parents gave her bottles of whiskey at the end of each term. She is a tee-totaller.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks La Boume - the article you mentioned on children arriving in reception able to decode but not understand sounds interesting. Was it purely anecdotal or did it contain some credible research?

It is of course possible that once a child can read, that they will be able to read words that they don't understand - it can happen at any age. But you would expect a child to be able to understand stories they read out loud to themselves at a similar level of "difficulty" that they could understand if an adult read it to them, so long as their reading is sufficiently fluent for them not to lose the gist of it whilst decoding the text.

It doesn't mean there's a "comprehension" problem if they can read words / sentences / paragraphs that they don't understand - just that they are reading the wrong material. Some children can read the newspaper at age 5 but they are not going to comprehend very much of it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:. But you would expect a child to be able to understand stories they read out loud to themselves at a similar level of "difficulty" that they could understand if an adult read it to them, so long as their reading is sufficiently fluent for them not to lose the gist of it whilst decoding the text.
Sorry, but that is just plain wrong.
Sorry again because I had no intention of coming back on this thread, but the level of passive comprehension of a child being read to is much, much higher than their active vocabulary. As long as the reader puts a modicum of effort into it and doesn't just literally read it out in a monotone voice with no expression, there is a world of difference between a child reading aloud and a child being read to. That is how children learn new words - they hear them in context, someone maybe 'does the voices', explains, paraphrases, does actions to help them understand. Apart from the sheer difficulty for a small child of trying to read (aloud!)a text which is outside their active vocabulary range, the enjoyment of the thing would be totally killed. It is well known that you can read aloud to children from a range of genres and at a range of difficulties they would not readily or pleasurably access for themselves. It's just one reason why you should keep reading aloud to children who can decode for themselves...there are of course many more.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Probably then my 2 benefitted greatly from all the rehearsals of my productions they had to sit through pre-school and being read to and generally entertained by my actors when I was directing.