What does this mean exactly

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
faitaccompli

What does this mean exactly

Post by faitaccompli »

We don't "do" SATS at school - in preparation for an appeal (not yet sat the exam as we are a late sitter but assming the worst never does one any harm!) I have asked the school for their predictions through the InCAS system (or something like that).

The response I had was as follows:

"73% chance in Maths, an 80% chance in English & an 87% chance in Science of achieving Level 5+"

So - firstly, what is 5+. You all talk about 5A, B and C.

And what on earth do the percentages mean? These were based on tests sat in May 2011 when he was in Year 5 (so nearly a year ago) and since then his maths is way his best subject with an average of around 90% in most of his tests.

And if 73% chance of achieving a 5+ (whatever that is) does that mean he could almost as easily hit a 4 instead?

Anyway - thanks for any light that can be shed.
ks

Re: What does this mean exactly

Post by ks »

A 5+ means a level 5C or higher. A 5A is the highest, unless your school does level 6 papers.

If there is a 73% chance of making level 5, it means that approx 3 out of 4 similar pupils with same starting point in year 5 would make level 5.

The 90% in maths sounds good. If they are past years SATS papers, as many schools will be using, then 90% is approx a 5B. You usually need 93/94 % to get a 5A in maths. If you needed to appeal, you could submit copies of these papers, which is what a friend if mine who is appealing now is doing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now