May 2007 Sats

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

May 2007 Sats

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know when in May the SAT's exams are? Thanks.

School won't tell us, just that it is in May.
sj355

Re: May 2007 Sats

Post by sj355 »

Science 14/05, English 15&16/05 and Maths 17&18/05.

Anonymous wrote:Does anyone know when in May the SAT's exams are? Thanks.

School won't tell us, just that it is in May.
sj355

Post by Guest »

Thanks. Have no idea why the school could not tell us.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Just wondered if this is the national dates as my childs birthday is on the 15th and I would be happier if he was taking an English paper on lack of excited sleep than a maths paper.

Thanks

CLP
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The national dates cannot be altered -

http://www.qca.org.uk/12305_8886.html

timetable also on the site

Post by Guest »

Schools don't like to tell you incase you make a big deal out of it and stress your child out. I remember with my oldest being told which week they were in but not which order they came in. For many children this is the first time they will have taken tests in an remotely stressful situation - and I have seen kids stressed out. Many schools do tests in the mornings and do lots of sport in the afternoon to help them relax before the next days test
jah

Post by jah »

My children's school always notifies parents of when the SATS are because they want to maximise attendance. So we knew our date from beginning of school year. My daughter is doing KS2 SATS w/c Monday 14th May.

Post by Guest »

I wish they would drop the SATs tests. Parents are led to believe that their child will suffer if the don't take these tests. The parents are then stressed out about it and pass this on to their children. SATs do nothing but get in the way of learning. Learning to pass a test is not my idea of education. The results get posted on league tables, which everyone seems to abhor anyway! My oldest son didn't take his KS2 and it hasn't done him any harm. It's not compulsory for your child to take the tests, but that's not what the school will tell you. Children are being tested in class just about every week, in less stressful circumstances. What's wrong with calculating the average mark for each child's work over the year and 'standardising', 'normalising' and whatever other '...ising' they have to do to get the desired result?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The levels [and marks] are transfered to Secondary schools and help with transition - in years gone by new pupils were tested on arrival which is not ideal for the settling in process.

They are also used to calculate the 'value-added' - much more inforamtive than raw levels at KS3 or grades at GCSE.

Yes, we could use teacher assessments - not sure we teachers are trusted by Government to do that!!!!

Post by Guest »

Senior schools near to me still test on arrival in Y7. Children should be left alone to learn and let the teachers teach, not be used to make sure the Government gets a "bargain" for its investment! Perhaps then the GCSEs and A Levels wouldn't need overhauling every other year and the Department for Education and Guesswork could stop requesting teachers try out yet another fantastic new idea on how to make sure ALL students get A grades. Teachers work hard; they don't need a government breathing down their necks to make sure it's getting value for money. Just my thoughts. I'm not a teacher.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now