Results of KS2 SATs

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Post by katel »

None of the secondary schools round here - grammar or high - use the SATS results to stream - they use their own tests and assessments. And, although this may be considered a heretical thought, I don't think it matters whether they get a 6 or a 7 at KS3 either! Nobody outside the school ever looks at SATS results - they are not asked for at job interviews, university entrance, college entrance......it fact, as far as I can see, the only practical use for level 5s at KS2 is to support an appeal for non-admission to a secondary school. I think they are just something else for children and parents to get unnecessarily stressed about, and my year 6 daughter has done absolutely no preoeration at home for them at all. Can someone prove me wrong.....????
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

katel wrote:they are just something else for children and parents to get unnecessarily stressed about, and my year 6 daughter has done absolutely no preoeration at home for them at all.
My daughter's has not done any revision at home either, but the school have done plenty during the last few weeks.........I think she knows enough to set the paper herself now!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :lol:

Never mind, all over next week and then apparently fun until the end of July!!!!

Post by Guest »

My child has also done no preparation at home although they seem to have spent / wasted a fair amount of time on practice papers in school. Not as much as some schools seem to have done though; it may be harder in a mixed year class like hers.

Only slight niggle with doing nothing is that I gather that the children scoring in the top 5% nation-wide are stuck on the government's G&T list and their secondary schools notified. Also read in press that the list will be available to university admissions departments in due course. This seems a bit daft given that SATS test attainment rather than potential, but the fact that something is daft doesn't, sadly, mean it isn't happening. Anyone know anything about this?
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

My daughter's has not done any revision at home either, but the school have done plenty during the last few weeks.........I think she knows enough to set the paper herself now!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :lol:
I agree with you Bexley, I'm in a neighbouring borough and the school has been practising+++, no homework sent home for last 2 weeks also!

We have not done any prep at home and I was wondering if I was negligent in this but as daughter has place for secondary education and we're not going down the appeal route and once in secondary school she will show her abilities and weaknesses I decided that with the schools preparation it was enough in her case, she will have enough pressure in the future and what has she got to prove by cramming for KS2 SATS.
NKM
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Last year my son's school, in order to enhance Year's 6 perrfomance offered breakfast to the pupils in this year, during the week of the tests.The breakfast was porridge.
Now, no-one in my family has ever seen porridge, let alone have it as breakfast. My son saw it last year and he came home excitedly declaring that they gave year 6 to eat popcorn with milk! He asked me yesterday whether they are going to repeat this strange ritual this year again. From the expression in his face it was clear that this created in his mind more panic that taking the exams themselves. And yes, breaksfast club, is on again as of this Monday!
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

We have not done any prep at home and I was wondering if I was negligent in this but as daughter has place for secondary education and we're not going down the appeal route and once in secondary school she will show her abilities and weaknesses I decided that with the schools preparation it was enough in her case, she will have enough pressure in the future and what has she got to prove by cramming for KS2 SATS.
Ditto with the exception of science. I had the suspicion that this subject had not be taught properly in his school. And bingo, I was correct! I did some past SATS science papers with my son at home and found that he was not properly taught terms such as air and water resistance, aerodynamic design etc. I have more than corrected this now. Moreover, he still can not remember the parts of a flower, but neither can I. I have been trying (unsuccesfully) to memorise them for the last 35 years! Did you know that a flower is both male and female? Spooky!!

This weekend I will do with him the 2006 KS2 science part A and B (he takes the test and then we discuss any mistakes that he makes). Other than that, I will let him enjoy his Wii!
sj355
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Secondary school cannot ignore KS2 NC test levels - they are judged on how much 'value' they add to these!

KS3 targets are set from the KS2 levels - this is FACT!
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I have to ask the obvious here, but for a highly selective grammar school whose main input is pupils with a straight set of level 5s at KS2, how is the VA calculated? Do they use the raw scores?

KS3 targets are set from the KS2 levels - this is FACT!
sj355
enigma

KS2 SATs

Post by enigma »

When do parents get to look at the papers done by their children in Maths, Science and English.

It seems worrying that on occasions they have not been marked appropriately, hence having to go back and prove it.

It would be good to know so that we can keep an eye on it.

Thanks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest55

How do the schools calculate the VA for the not insignificantg number of pupils who come from the private sector where the schools have chosen not to take KS2 SATs?

The majority prep schools in the West Midlands now choose not to take KS2 SATs.

I thought Yellis was the main tool used for VA and predicting?

Regards

Ken
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now