KS2 SATS underway

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shmuxel

Post by shmuxel »

also i've found the best way to do it is to relax, and pretend its a practise paper, but doing your best.

it works, at one point i forgot i was doing the sats!
HDA

Post by HDA »

Dear SJ

Re SATS _ Do you really need to tell your child their SATS result? I have always told my children that the results (together with value added scores) are there to be some sort of marker for the current school so new parents can judge the effectivenessof a school, and they are there for the next school as a guide to the children's starting level so that that secondary school knows best how to help my child so they will achieve and be happy. and for parents to show that their child is progressing. I explain that the results will never appear on their cv when applying for jobs or affect their future employment.

However, I do appreciate that in some schools SATS are such a big deal that it may not be possible not to tell him. In that case, if he does end up with a 4 in one or more subjects, why not ask his teacher for his actual mark in that test, and the cut off level- then hopefully you can tell him he was close. Also hopefully the teacher assessment will be a 5. Tell him that many senior schools use the teacher assessments, not the actual assessments to set the children in year 7, since they find these more reliable and everyone recognises that 10/11 year olds do not always produce their best in test situations. There is plenty of time to practice tests before GCSEs.

In respect of the bullying I suggest you have a look at the Kidscape web site. Kidscape is a charity - so moderators please don't delete this as advertising. The website has a good leaflet your son can download called "moving on". There are also sections for him to read and some for parents. I can also recommend their help line - either for you as a parent or for him..

Hope this helps. Good luck. I know the damage caused to self esteem by bullying, so do what you can not to let a below-expected SATS result futher damage his self esteem.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

SJ wrote:My little man said that there were questions in the science papers that they had not covered in the syllabus. Whether this is because he changed schools in Yr 6 and this school covered it in Yr5 and his old school was leaving this part of the syllabus to Yr6 I am not sure, but to say the least he was somewhat concerned!
My daughter said exactly the same thing and she has been at the same school for 7 seven years. She came home and asked what a periwinkle was and that space stations weren't in the Study Book.

Post by Guest »

Was the word 'periwinkle' in the actual science SATS paper? My daughter and I came across it in a Letts or CGP or similar book, and she was thoroughly confused because she knew of a periwinkle as a flower - in the particular instance it was actually a sea shell!
azzurri

Post by azzurri »

Was very relieved to find out that my daughter found the maths test A "Nice"(her own words) because it is her weakest subject.She really revised alot and I hope it pays off.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

I asked my daughter if "periwinkle" was mentioned in her science test, she said it wasn't although she knew what it was when I asked her what it meant.

Maybe my daughter missed something.

AM
sj355

Post by sj355 »

azzurri wrote:Was very relieved to find out that my daughter found the maths test A "Nice"(her own words) because it is her weakest subject.She really revised alot and I hope it pays off.
I was equally relieved that my kid managed to finish on time the comprehesion SAT on Wedensady. This was a personal record for him, because he has always run out of time on this. This time he even had one moment to spare and check his answers quickly! :)

The next day we touched surreal ground, because he was very unhappy (in tears actually) as he had made one mistake in the mental Maths and hence managed to loose the elusive 100% (for his school) that he had hoped to achieve in his Maths. (This was the target set for him by his teacher) For the first time in months I had to tell him off and asked him to a) get a grip and b) chill out a bit! :(
sj355
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

Well I'm Glad the Sats are all over.
My daughter found the maths tests easier then the English and science ones.I'm very surprised because maths is the weaker subject of the three.

Now she has to concentrate on her summer exams in three weeks time.I can't wait until it's all over.These tests are driving me mad,whilst my daughter is taking it all in her stride.

Post by Guest »

SJ355,

100% Target seems rather harsh for a teacher to set!What alot of stress this must cause.

My daugther's science teacher wanted the whole class to acheive 90% plus in their Autumn test and I thought that was over the top.Until I found out that my daughter was the only one to get over 90%.(just)!
sj355

Post by sj355 »

100% Target seems rather harsh for a teacher to set!What alot of stress this must cause.
I agree. It made him cry for no reason at all because he felt he let his school down (by achieving very probably a 99%!!). Well at least it is behind us now. But at that time it felt like the twinlight zone! And I thought I was extreme!
My daugther's science teacher wanted the whole class to acheive 90% plus in their Autumn test and I thought that was over the top.Until I found out that my daughter was the only one to get over 90%.(just)
Well done! :)
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now