KS2 SATS underway

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

solimum

maths target

Post by solimum »

My son was given (semi-seriously) a target of 100% in his Maths GCSE last summer which I'm happy to say he achieved! :D
sj355

Re: maths target

Post by sj355 »

solimum wrote:My son was given (semi-seriously) a target of 100% in his Maths GCSE last summer which I'm happy to say he achieved! :D
Is not that absolutely delightful when it happens? Bravo to him, you must feel so proud!
sj355
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That does not necessarily mean full marks as all papers are standardised!!

I remember an AS paper where 68/75 was 100% .... :lol:
guest115

sats

Post by guest115 »

oh guest 55 give solimum a break already. no offense.
solimum

maths

Post by solimum »

Well he did actually get all the questions right in his mock paper as well..... 8)

Post by Guest »

Has anyone fretting over the KS2 SATs results asked the secondary school their child will be attending in September if they take the KS2 results into consideration? :)
katel

Post by katel »

As I said on another thread - the SATS are for the benefit of the primary school only. Secondary schools use their own tests. And as for a child worrying because the school wantd a 100% record - well, words fail me! I would be hammering on the teacher's door demanding an expanation so fast you wouldn't see me for dust! Actually, I wouldn't. I would say very calmly "The SATS are an evaluation of your ability, Ms X, not the children's. If you have done your job properly, all the children in your class will achieve the best results they are capable of. If you haven't, then it is not my child's responsibility to compensate for your inadequacies. Please stop putting unnecessary pressure on 10/11 year olds"
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Guest55 wrote:That does not necessarily mean full marks as all papers are standardised!!

Is that possible? Can standardisation grant you a 100%? Does this also aplly for the NFER 11+ papers when they are standardised? Why are GCSE papers standardised in the first place? For age? :? :?
sj355

Post by Guest »

I know my son was given 141 in both his verbal reasoning Bucks 11+ test and he did not attempt three of the questions as he ran out of time. It depends on your definition of 100% - but he did get the hightest mark that can be awarded without answering all the questions correctly and he is a mid-year baby.

Post by Guest »

sj355 wrote:
Guest55 wrote:That does not necessarily mean full marks as all papers are standardised!!

Is that possible? Can standardisation grant you a 100%? Does this also aplly for the NFER 11+ papers when they are standardised? Why are GCSE papers standardised in the first place? For age? :? :?
My son got all the questions right in a year 3 nfer maths test, but did not get 141, the supposed maximum. The teacher showed me the standardisation chart - because he is an October baby, his 100% mark was scaled down. A younger child (say, a July baby), who scored highly but did not achieve 100%, could have achieved a 141 score.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now