KS2 SATS underway

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Anonymous wrote:
sj355 wrote:
Guest55 wrote:That does not necessarily mean full marks as all papers are standardised!!

I remember an AS paper where 68/75 was 100% .... :lol:
Is that possible? Can standardisation grant you a 100%? Does this also aplly for the NFER 11+ papers when they are standardised? Why are GCSE papers standardised in the first place? For age? :? :?
My son got all the questions right in a year 3 nfer maths test, but did not get 141, the supposed maximum. The teacher showed me the standardisation chart - because he is an October baby, his 100% mark was scaled down. A younger child (say, a July baby), who scored highly but did not achieve 100%, could have achieved a 141 score.
So an older child can never get 100%.!! That is strange. Are you sure about this? I though standardisation was smoothing the curve, not actually reducing marks
sj355
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.qca.org.uk/12422.html

How to standardise last year's KS2 NC tests -

Guest I think the teacher was wrong - full marks is 100% the reverse is not always true.

AS and A2 modules are standardised to make each paper the same difficulty - this also happenes in GCSE - raw marks are turned into UMS
katel

Post by katel »

Why does it matter whether they get 100% or not????????
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It clearly matters to the people who asked the question -

Post by Guest »

Guest55 wrote:http://www.qca.org.uk/12422.html

How to standardise last year's KS2 NC tests -

Guest I think the teacher was wrong - full marks is 100% the reverse is not always true.

AS and A2 modules are standardised to make each paper the same difficulty - this also happenes in GCSE - raw marks are turned into UMS
I've checked back in my paperwork, and certainly, there may have been an error somewhere, but I have noted that he got 35 out of 35 for the 2006 nfer maths, but only 139 on the standardisation. We had a laugh about it at the time, because we'd teased my son that he hadn't got full marks, and then had to eat our words when we discovered he had! The teacher showed me the standardisation charts, and we both read it as 139 - but I'm quite prepared to believe we were wrong! Curiously, for his English that year, he got 41/42, which standardised to the higher mark of 140. This year he did get 141 for maths, but I have no idea if that meant he got all the answers right, because we never bothered to ask.

Incidentally, 100% or not didn't matter, it was just a curiosity given the odd circumstances of the 139 mark. I'm just one of those strange people who finds statistics interesting.

Post by Guest »

Any child that achieves outside the standardised figures gets ***. My child's Nfer marks in reading and maths were outside the scale. She is one of the older ones in her class so the standardisation does take into account older children with very high scores.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now