Poor Grammar!!!!!!!

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Poor Grammar!!!!!!!

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Just1-2go, one teacher interviewed this morning thought it would be a better idea for teachers to be examined within the classroom setting whilst teaching. This would be a way to pick up on poor grammar!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:Just1-2go, one teacher interviewed this morning thought it would be a better idea for teachers to be examined within the classroom setting whilst teaching. This would be a way to pick up on poor grammar!
Doesn't this happen? Trainee teachers are assessed in the classroom and now it is common to have to teach a short lesson as part of a job interview.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Yes, it does Wonderwoman, but I guess the teacher on TV this morning thought there should be more of this. Do teachers get assessed throughout their teaching career in the classroom? Perhaps this would keep them on their toes! :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes all teachers are observed at least three times a year in addition to 'learning walks' and visitors being shown around.

There is FAR more scrutiny than when I started teaching XX years ago :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:Yes all teachers are observed at least three times a year in addition to 'learning walks' and visitors being shown around.

There is FAR more scrutiny than when I started teaching XX years ago :lol:
There's always one who slips through the net G55 :lol:
scary mum
janet71

Post by janet71 »

I must say I smiled when I read this as its my thoughts exactly - My DCs have always been corrected at home but it is something that annoys me when I see errors from the teachers (spelling/grammar) in their books and others around them speaking incorrectly especially the teachers/adults. - my biggest bugbear is the dropping of the "t" in words (It seems very common in this area of yorkshire) Originally from Manchester (I lived in the deprived inner city area) where the accent is strong and "common" as a child my mother always corrected me when I said "init" and "you know what I mean" and it drove me mad but I now do the same - But unfortunately kids are surrounded by different accents/manners/language and as long as they can tell the difference in how to speak at home/with adults and speaking with their friends (which I appreciate it is different as i did the same as a child) thats how I've teached them (only joking - taught lolx)
My 6yr old is corrected every time she drops a "t" or says something wrong and she now points out to me when she hears others not speaking correctly (especially on the radio where they say "twitter" and "showt owt" without using the "tt" or "er") So she can tell the difference and thats all you can do...... She asked me today why doesnt "(her friend)" speak properly and say his "t"s, was he born like that? - I said no his parents don't correct him so he doesn't know its wrong.....
I know how important it is to speak correctly as an ex senior manager who worked in customer service I would interview people all the time and as soon as they started to speak it was an indication of how I thought they would be, if you cant speak correctly in an interview its a lost cause...they could be the brightest candidate but I just didnt take it any further all because the adults and teachers didn't correct them as they grew up.
Last edited by janet71 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveg

Post by daveg »

janet71 wrote: I even find myself correcting the BBC news when someone has "hanged" themselves I shout "Hung!"
People are hanged. Paintings, or pheasants, are hung. OED: "hanged: Put to death by hanging by the neck.".

ETA:

"I have great comfort from this fellow: methinks he
hath no drowning mark upon him; his complexion is
perfect gallows. Stand fast, good Fate, to his
hanging: make the rope of his destiny our cable,
for our own doth little advantage. If he be not
born to be hanged, our case is miserable."

Tempest, I.1.
Last edited by daveg on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Touché daveg. :lol: The trouble with this kind of thread is that it opens up all kinds of worm storage vessels. For example, as a teacher myself, I would not allow the 7 exclamation marks in the title of this thread. One is enough, I would tell a student. It is very easy to pick holes in the language of others- less easy to spot our own mistakes. And either past tense is correct for 'learn' btw: either 'learned' or 'learnt'. Personally I prefer the former, and it is that which predominates in, for example, Psychology, where one talks of 'learned behaviour'.

I find it very sad that children are 'corrected' for speaking in regional accents, too. The trick is to learn the difference between colloquial, spoken language (such as 'owt') and correct written or formal spoken language. Children who are constantly corrected in their speech by 'posh' teachers are liable to stop speaking at school, and to feel that their own dialect, or idiolect, is not valued. There is absolutely no reason why a child should be told to use 'correct' English in interactions with friends and family. Goodness me, we all have our little idiosyncrasies, don't we?

I am not defending teachers who can't use correct written English, and am a stickler for correct use of apostrophes, grammar and punctuation. But in informal speech - no, let's keep the local colour and enjoy the foibles of our regional accents and dialects!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I love letters and sounds which has northern and southern pronunciations for short vowels. I teach in Kent where I have to do exercises in 'our' and ' are' I am from Gloucestershire where this is not a problem 'ower' and 'arrr'

Mr Yoyo is from Belfast .. more and moor are 'mor' and 'Moower'

As I was corrected by my 3 year old Edinburgh nephew ..." It's no a buck , it's a booook"
Beckii330

Post by Beckii330 »

I think this happens in a lot of schools. I have seen "your" instead of "you're" in actual school reports but all I do is show my son and ask him to point out the mistakes. Then we have a little giggle about teachers not being perfect and that anyone can make a mistake.

I live in Plymouth and the accent is just awful but there's one thing having an accent but another not correcting grammar. Down here they say "I likes it when..." or "I goes down town..."

:twisted: :twisted:

All you can do is correct at home, I'm not perfect myself but I do try my hardest to instill the very basics!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now