Level Six English Paper

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Level Six English Paper

Post by mystery »

Does it cost a school more to enter a child for level 6? Why wouldn't they err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt?
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Interesting thread. DD has been put forward for English and Maths level 6 papers next year. I was told she had to because she hit good level 3s at end of KS1 and so is a natural progression. Plus obviously they have to think she is able and capable of taking them. She is level 5a and 5b.

I believe also both papers ( 5 and 6 ) done on the same day. Does that sound right? We've never done revision/work at home for Sats and don't think would. Should I be doing?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think Ofsted would be more interested in schools entering loads of pupils for a test they then fail! National very few 'passed' the level 6 papers - how sad for a bright pupil to end K2 feeling a failure :cry:

It's all about boosting the school's average point score not for the pupils benefit!

The multiplicative method is when you use a multiplier ie to add 15% you find 115% and get the anwer in one step.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Good points guest55. I appreciate these sats are more valuable to the school. As we may be appealing at a GS school next year ( she passed 3 GS exams, handful away on another and which is the most ideal and practical one) and the fact she is now working towards level 6 papers obviously goes in her favour regarding our case for academic ability. One thing that has come up with DD on the English side ( she is 5a and English/literacy is her strength) she feels she isn't being stretched at school, isn't learning anything new and seems to be going over old work in English.

If she is working towards level 6 sats English paper, should she be doing different/higher level work at school? School have been very supportive regarding DD and I don't really want to rock the boat or come across as a 'pushy parent'.

Do children learn much, much more in year 6 before starting secondary school?
JRM

Post by JRM »

My DS seems to be covering a much broader range of types of writing in year 6 - so possibly variety more than harder work. But if I were to read between the lines, I think that the teacher is making up for breadth that has been missing in previous years. After Christmas she said that it will get harder.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
fizzypops

Post by fizzypops »

Level 6 English are, more or less, similar to the difficulty of the 11+ papers. My DD recently did it for Assessment Week and she came home with a really tired brain.
FP Fizzypops
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Yes, having looked at some level 6 Reading/English SATS papers that my DD has been given for homework, I can see why not many people get the level 6 English! I think is quite difficult indeed when I've had a nose. DD is around level of 14 ish yr old in regard to her reading/writing/spelling ect according to school, though whether she gets the 6 is another thing.

Out of interest any parents on here whose DC got the level 6 English last year?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Level 6 Maths and English - Am I right in believing you need to get about 50% plus in these papers in order to achieve Level 6 (as well as achieving a Level 5a in normal SATS)?
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:Level 6 Maths and English - Am I right in believing you need to get about 50% plus in these papers in order to achieve Level 6 (as well as achieving a Level 5a in normal SATS)?
When I spoke to school, they gave me conflicting information as to what I had heard. I was told if DD achieved the 6, think is something like 38/5o (could be totally wrong so someone please correct me) she could get whatever mark on the 3-5 and she would still be awarded the 6??? A 6 is a 6. I asked about how it would be perceived her not doing the 6's....Urrrr think I asked a silly question judging on the reply. Very happy with school though and they have been very supportive of DD it has to be said.

Oh I just don't get it :?: Touched on what I perceive as quite high level Geometry stuff for her maths this week, surely that's not right for a primary child? I thought that was high school stuff, anyway I couldn't help her so she had to work it out for herself :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

No level 6 is given if a 5 isn't achieved on the 3-5 test.