SATS RESULTS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

Post by katel »

Can I ask why you need to know how much he missed the 5 by? 2 5s and a 4 is a brilliant result!
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

My son is going to a comprehensive (partially selective) and they are set on the sats results, I would prefer he is in one of the top sets and only the level 5's are or so we were told at last night open evening. So he won't be in the top set now. I would also like to know as there is a world of difference between just getting a 4 ie 1 mark over the threshold and 1 mark from getting a level 5. The teachers know this info so as a parent I want to know.

Kaz ( my son was predicted 3 level 4's so we are over the moon with what he got)
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Congrats Kaz, on your son's results!!!

I would also like to know as there is a world of difference between just getting a 4 ie 1 mark over the threshold and 1 mark from getting a level 5. The teachers know this info so as a parent I want to know.
In total agreement :D

BW
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

My DD2 is a bit upset as she got 3 4's and was predicted 3 5's, she says she ran out of time and panicked a bit.

Teacher said she missed 5's on all 3 just by a couple of marks :oops:

I told her that she can only get better from now, and that 4's are really what most kids get :roll:

dd1, and ds1 have been really good and supportive as they all got 3 5's when they left primary.

Glad she didn't go for 11 plus now, she might have struggled if she'd passed and gone to grammar :?

We made the right choice. 8) :P

Footymad xx.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Footymad - if she just missed level 5s then she's 4a which is above expectation - this might cheer her up!
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Hello All,

No 1 daughter got her school report today and the English papers for the entire year group have been sent back to be re-marked! Has anyone else experienced this? There was a covering letter with the report to explain that we will not now get the English marks until September 15th.... how much more torture do we have to bear?? The rest of her marks were 5s and her teacher assessment marks for the English papers were all straight 5a.....but still. :? :?

Still destined to be Tired Mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tired Mum,

This is quite common - most years it happened at KS3 - that's why the KS3 English results now take so long - not out until end of August
katel

Post by katel »

Tiredmum - that must be a disappointment - but I really, truely do not understand why SATS matter so much! First, they are a test of the teacher not the child. Second, as far as I know, secndary schools do their own tests before setting/streaming children, so why are you so concerned? Dont' mean to sound insensitive - my dd got am unexpected 4 for one of hers, so I do know how it feels!

Post by Guest »

I keep reading this on the forum that the SATS are a test of the teacher and not the child. Can you please explain this? I thought if a child does not have the knowledge to answer the tests questions, then he/she will attain a lower level. So how is it not a test of the child's knowledge and understanding especially as results get sent to the secondary school

Post by Guest »

I presume this is because there are many children that are capable of getting beyond level 5 but are limited by government capping of the tests. There has neen no 'push' at my child's primary school, the most able children have been very bored over the whole of the time they were at primary level.