SATS and grammar school - worth it?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
worri3d_mum

Re: SATS and grammar school - worth it?

Post by worri3d_mum »

Just to update... I spoke to the GS about this, and they told me that while they do take into account the SATS when initially setting targets, levels and stuff, it's not the only thing they use. My thought is if my DS doesn't take the level 6, gets a lower starting placement and then works to an obviously higher level, they'll move him anyway.

So I've decided to let him choose. He definitely doesn't want to miss his IT and music classes, but wants to try the level 6 paper anyway. So I'm going to try to arrange this during the teachers meeting tomorrow. He's still seeing the tutor he had for his 11+ once a week - by his own choice - and she's doing what she describes as a mix of SATS work and preparation for year 7 with him. He enjoys those sessions so we'll see what the school says.

I'll let you all know what happens ;)
worri3d_mum

Post by worri3d_mum »

Ok, update from after the teacher meeting....

DS's teacher quite happily told me that he is top set in everything and working well on level 6 stuff, and doing very well in his level 6 booster classes. Her face dropped considerably when I told her the issues about him missing IT and music classes, and quite frankly she looked at me like something she'd walked in on the bottom of her shoe. I also explained that he's got a tutor and is having 1-2-1 sessions once a week, and that he'd like to try the level 6 paper, but not miss his curriculum classes. Her response was quite off-hand I thought, and she basically told me that without doing the boosters, he wouldn't be allowed to take the level 6 paper, and I'd have to speak to the deputy head or head.

So off we went, and found the deputy head - and what a different attitude! He listened to the problem, agreed that it wasn't good for my DS to miss a class he enjoyed so much, and came up with a solution. DS can take music and IT with one of the other year 6 classes, during what would be reading and "topic" time (both of which he's well ahead on), and then have the booster classes as normal. Well, DS said yes please before I'd even had chance to say anything :)

So, DS is happy with the proposals, he'll get to take the level 6 paper as he wanted, but he won't miss the IT and music classes that he really enjoys... result all round :)

I'm just a little disappointed at his teacher's attitude tho :( Still, the Deputy Head made up for it :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, all's well that ends well. Like you I can't understand the other attitude, but it happens in all kinds of situations, not just the school one.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Guest55 wrote:Just think how demoralising it is for a bright child to end their Primary school life feeling a failure because they did not get the 'artificial' level 6.

It is cruel imho.
Was reading back when I came across this which struck a chord. My DS was in the top sets for English & Maths throughout junior school, was in the Maths Enrichment group & 3rd youngest in the yr. For some very heartbreaking reason that I will never forget was that all the children in the top set got to sit Maths & English level 6 paper & my son out of the whole set was asked to sit level 6 Maths only. The reason they gave me was that they could only have so many to sit level 6 English. When I told them that this would knock his confidence as well as being unfair, I was informed it was too late & that they felt it wouldn't be fair on him as he was not chosen for English enrichment ( a few months before) which prepared children for the level 6 paper. Always had a feeling that it had something to do with me requesting DS's school records to use for appeal for place at gs & they made a lot of excuses about they didn't have time & that it would not be useful & I wouldn't get it in time for the appeal which then was about a month away . When I politely insisted saying that I needed it under the FIA, they were not happy at all. Same person told me that he didn't achieve level 6 maths in mock tests when he did on 2/3 occasions & the very person who told me this was the person who taught him :( Maybe it was all a coincidence but I have my doubts. Anyway my son is now doing brill at gs with his brothers & is flourishing in Maths as well as English!

I rest my case & now can move on :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes unfortunately stuff like that does happen. I'm glad it has sorted itself out Zeinab.

It's hard to know what to say to a child when it dents their confidence. One needs to have a child that retains the feeling that what teachers say is important, but when things like that happen it's hard to think of anything to say to the child other than that teachers are just like the rest of the population and can be wrong at times too.

Does it cost a school for each level 6 entry?
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Thank you mystery. What hurt me was that he was the only one out of the top group not to sit the level 6 English. There were different answers from different people why this was the case which made be doubt things even more. Anyway one must move on but learn from experience. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now