Sats Sats Sats!!!!

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

Sats Sats Sats!!!!

Post by countrymum »

Just the need to let off steam. Why all this 'training' in the run up to the tests. Lots of school/home time is now needed from DD to 'swot up' for these tests. I am afraid I am on the fence of let them just enjoy this time, perhaps a little attention to weak areas of work nearer the day and then just do them, be proud of your ability!

Now I appreciate I am talking as a parent whose child got the L4s a long time ago and am all for stretching a child on a 3c/4a or whatever to better themselves, perhaps do a little revising, but I just cant help the fact that this is all about 'school results' and little attention made to the pastoral side of it all. All time socially is now spent chit chattering at school about what level each friend is going to get. Not healthy imo. I have heard now of private tutoring for sats ~ how is one ever going to get a true reflection of how a school is performing.

I also gather secondary have their own take on primary sats and don't they get reassessed kind of thing anyway when they first start?

Grrrrr, rant over and out x
ginx

Re: Sats Sats Sats!!!!

Post by ginx »

I've just written on another thread that my dd missed a level 6 maths by one mark, in a practice test. She was really upset.

Whilst I am a little worried, not worried enough to do any practice papers with her. I can't bear the thought. So I guess I am a hypocrite really!

I am sick of SATS and dd says that's all they're doing at school. ds in year 2 suggests he is doing quite a lot of "papers" too. He knows they're SATS because "SATS" is one of the few words he can read ... :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Surely a child who is so close to level 6 now should be into at least the low level 6s by the time of the real thing if they are continuing to teach them some maths at school?
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Maybe if they didn't put so much 'pressure' on these young children to get the levels, emotions wouldn't run so high when the children don't get the level they were expecting. Missing by one point must have been disheartening. Don't understand how she can be bottom though with that score, was everyone else in her class achieving level 6 marks?

Of course I am supporting and encouraging of DD but can't help thinking they're kind of in competition with each other. The level 6 thing is another thing, was interesting to me in regards to her possible appeal and myself thinking may go in her favour if she was TA a level 6 but tbh have become very laid back about it all, what will be will be. I gather she may be the only DC in the year now doing the extension 'level 6' papers in English & Maths, a couple are now not doing them.

Am half thinking of asking them not to put her in for it anymore. A 5a (if she gets the high end mark on the 3-5 papers) is jolly fantastic and I wonder if may 'crush' her a little her not getting the 6!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have you seen the timetable for the KS2 tests!

If they are doing the level 6 papers then they do these on the same day as the other tests - absolute madness!

http://www.education.gov.uk/b00208296/ks2-2013/ks2_2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Yes I have seen the timetable if they do the level 6 papers too on the same day ~ *sigh*
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would not have let my DC do this.

A KS2 level 5a tells the secondary school everything they need to know.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My dd was working at level 6 last year but her teacher decided she did not need the stress of it so did not put her in for it. She apparently did very well in the 3-5 paper so left primary as level 5 but has ended up in the top maths set in her GS .
DS has been doing level 6 maths practice papers this week - not sure what he will do - i might find out next week at parents evening- I might yet be back on appealing to Crypt so DS doing the level 6 paper might be useful extra evidence.
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

Hi can anyone tell me what % would be a level 5a I realise this may vary slightly from year to year.
Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Any score above 93 (approx) overall for the three papers added together.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now