Key Stage 1 SATS paper

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ginx

Re: Key Stage 1 SATS paper

Post by ginx »

Mystery, just find the 2007 or 2009 ks1 sats then and let us all know! Or is that cheating?

Dh thinks it's cheating. I call it helping. :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think it's on the way to cheating --- but it makes you realise why at KS1 the test papers should only form part of the picture. Some children could, quite accidentally, have already seen the papers they are going to receive and worked on them in some way that was useful.

Our school seems to rely very heavily on the test results at KS1, and are doing the tests all very formally over the next few weeks in year 2 - starting next week. Then our authority requires the results quite early in the term, and the school has its own internal process before sending in the results to the authority. So really children are going to show up as the kind of stuff they could have done at Christmas in all likelihood! Apparently amazing progress can then be made in KS2 I suppose.

It's a shame that the authority works like this - it results in something which is not at all in the spirit of the relaxation of the KS1 testing regime which came in years ago. The DfE deadline for KS1 results is end of the summer term.
ginx

Post by ginx »

mystery,

Having heard sats started this week, I've interrogated my son, he's told me I'm "stupid" (lovely boy - "stupid" is one of my least favourite words), - Sats start next week. He's been told to make sure he goes to bed early because it will be tiring and he will have to work "very hard".

A few other mums have heard the same from their children. Who knows if it's true ...

Great. ds1 has had a week of mock GCSE's this week (majorly stressfuly), ds2 has sats ks1 next week (if true) and dd2 has sats ks2 the following week. I can't wait for them all to end.

So here in sunny Warwickshire, in our village, it does sound as if ks1 sats start next week; ds2 says it will be reading first (obviously that's just at his school). Also he may have it all wrong!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Our school is doing the test papers starting next week too in Year 1. They say it will take the whole of May on and off to get all the children through the various bits of them and give the tasks with help to those who need them, the level 3 papers to those who need them etc etc. It's very much up to the school when they do them. It forms part of the teacher assessment. The teacher assessment level has to be reported to the DfE by the end of term, but some local authorities set much earlier deadlines for their schools.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Mystery - Sats in year 1? Do you mean year 2?

I think they will take the whole of May (as we've been told in previous years).
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I think we've been doing them every day for for two whole weeks. :(
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, ourmaminhavana.

Wait till you're in year six. I feel like dd's being doing Sats for at least two whole months. :lol:

Two weeks is a long time for ks1. They're only young.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

ginx wrote:
Two weeks is a long time for ks1. They're only young.
It's a long time for me, never mind KS1 and I'm not that young! :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry yes meant to say Year 2 / KS1.

I don't think they are intended to take the whole of May ... it just seems to work out that way - but it's dribs and drabs.
ginx

Post by ginx »

ds2 said he did a spelling paper today (a "real" one because the dc were sat so they couldn't copy).

He could only remember one word!!! but said it was easy. He certainly was not stressed by it!