Sats week!

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Re: Sats week!

Post by ginx »

Well, KS2 Sats are ... but KS1 trickles on. I presume if you achieve a level 2 in KS1, you do a level 3 paper. I don't really know (and should do after three dc going through this).

Ds2 has done a spelling, reading (he says two reading?) papers, and two maths papers. He saw the first maths paper being marked, he got 29/30, but then Maths is his thing - and lots of other boys got very similar marks. He didn't say the second maths paper (which he saw was level 3) was easy. He insists he has four papers more to do.

Does anyone have any idea what they could be? And doesn't he have a writing paper?

Having discussed how I chose my name, perhaps I should change it to - clueless!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Gosh Ginx, my DS wouldn't have a clue about any of this. Isn't even aware of any 'test' being taken and I haven't pushed the subject with him. Like with DD when she took her KS1 tests, I didn't really know when she'd done them. Happy to keep it that way with my DS. Think they had some phonic thing last week but that's about all he's told me.

Your DS sounds very astute, he is 7 yet? Mine is still 6, and still a very young one at that. He's the master of cup of tea making, definitely an A* in that :lol:
ginx

Post by ginx »

countrymum

My ds isn't astute, his teacher has told him. They are told the day before they have the exam because they are told to go to bed early. My older three weren't told anything which I'm sure is best. Ds2 doesn't worry (he thinks he's very clever - but he isn't! his writing and reading are not very good at all). Of course, some dc may worry. I don't understand why they are being told.

Ds2 was 7 in February and with all the conversation about ks2 Sats for his sister, he is aware of Sats. If his teacher hadn't gone on about them so much, he wouldn't have a clue. I think it is very sad that they are told. :( :(
JRM

Post by JRM »

Well I've been having a forum break for a while, but had to come back and pop in after the lovely SATS week. DS wasn't phased by it, but didn't do papers when he expected and did one he didn't realise he had to. I can't believe that I had got so laid back that I didn't even know which papers he was doing. Their teacher has been off for a month though so the whole week or so before they spent the whole time in class doing mental maths and spelling tests. He is just glad it is over and they can do some pe and something a bit more interesting. There was a bit of a life lesson in learning to read the question properly in there, which will probably be the biggest thing he gets out of his SATS. I'd certainly rather he learnt that from a SATS rather than a GCSE!

I hope everyone else's teacher also told then that they could stay up really late this weekend since they had gone to bed early last week! My DS doesn't need any more encouragement :lol:
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, JRM. My dd was given a timetable for all Sats, but she didn't know which ones she was sitting :roll: and ended up doing the lot, although the head has told her - and me - that she has little chance of getting a level 6. Anyway, I'm not bothered (but she is). GCSE's are much more important, thank goodness we have a few years till then.

I think she believes she will be doing NO more work this term. I am beginning to wonder how dc are going to spend their time! Lots of art? They have a PSHE film about "growing up" (or something) next week. She is looking forward to that. :roll: girls!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This week at school, DD will mostly be riding her bike. They are doing their bikeability course. So maybe not academic, but definitely educational and a useful life skill.
nickiveg

Post by nickiveg »

8) well mine took full advantage and was up till 11 ish last night as we had family night with movies and pizza so no encouragement need here to stay late up late! My DD doesn't think she has got 6 buy then again she didn't think she would pass the 11 plus so me i can never guess :shock: always says she is rubbish ( her words) then just does it !
But as I have always said its go the school sats try your best for yourself and the teachers but its no biggy. Got one doing gcses as well and yep there the ones you want them to understand is for them :o by by then they are teenagers and the now everything duh !
JRM

Post by JRM »

We have sex education, cycling proficiency and pe to look forward to. They had paper aeroplane flying competitions on Friday :-)

ginx, we got a timetable a long time ago - but it included level 6 maths on the Wednesday afternoon as well as the Thursday afternoon. DS was most confused when he didn't do an exam wed pm. It was just indicative of the general organisation at our school that he was told that ' oh school haven't got the level 6 mental maths' and not that there wasn't one.
Dr Seuss
ginx

Post by ginx »

JRM, we have gender education also to look forward to. But we didn't have paper aeroplane flying competitions - as far as I know!

I wonder what dc will do in lessons? Dream? I hope the girls don't all start falling out with each other again, now the pressure of Sats is over.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Gender education! I didn't realise it would auto correct me. I would hope that he at least knows the difference between boys and girls by now! Poor DS has to do the year 5 sex education in the morning and year 6 sex education in the afternoon. From what I gather, year 5 is puppies and kittens and year 6 is the bouncing around on a spacehopper tickling each other with a feather foreplay. I think he might need a lie down in a darkened room at the end of that day. OR maybe that's not the thing to say!

anyway, sorry for the deviation. I hope the kids are generally happier and relaxed so there is less falling out and they can enjoy the summer feeling like the big kids for the last time.
Dr Seuss