Results soon...

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Re: Results soon...

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Amber. She'll get over it. I think everyone else at school has got level 6 in maths (looking at school statistics out today) so I hope she doesn't feel downhearted tomorrow. This has come after her induction day at her gs, which she really enjoyed, thank goodness.

I thought this would happen. She was always bottom of the top maths group, and in November school were worried she'd even reach a level 5.

Life goes on - but no sunshine here!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ginx - please tell her that a GS maths teacher pays absolutely NO attention whatsoever to level 6. The papers aren't really level 6 and she'll be at no disadvantage at GS :D
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, Guest55. I will tell her. Doesn't help her self-confidence much; she already knows she has never been one of the cleverest in her class, she can accurately list those who have always done better than her at everything, who are going to gs. Not everybody can be top. But she is not stupid, she's a very capable, enquiring girl. If rather stroppy and lazy at times.

She's now wondering if she should be going to a gs at all. Everybody else passed maths, she knew she was bottom of the level 6 group. Ironically, maths was actually her best subject, before this level 6 group was created.

Why did I ever agree to her sitting these exams? I'm cross with myself. :( :( :( Just when things seemed to be going well.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Don't be cross with yourself. There are always going to be some times when your children are sad and it is not your doing. Hope her mood lightens soon. I have a sad child here too for different reasons. It is all part of their growing up I know but that does not make you feel any better. You just want them smiling in 2 minutes like when a toddler bumps themselves and you comfort them.
ginx

Post by ginx »

She's happier this morning, they are off on a school trip and she's got a few things to take so has to organise herself.

I just hope some girls (always the same ones) aren't bragging about all the 6's they got.

And I hope it doesn't mean she can't cope at gs, I know Guest55 says it makes no difference; but perhaps it means she can't cope with the harder work or pressure. I won't know till she's there.

And to think, we have a good comp with a grammar stream ... she should have gone there.

You're right, Mystery, you just want them happy. Sorry to hear you have a sad child too!

I've got my second sports day today. Ds2 has told me he's definitely going to win at least two races. If he doesn't he is going to be in a horrid mood. He is so super confident I can't help thinking pride comes before a fall!
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Can someone please explain how a bright child who has won a place at GS next year and who otherwise received all 5's and 6's in her SATs results yesterday went from a 4A for science at the end of year 5 to a 3A this year? No problems were mentioned in her school report or at parent/teacher evening on Monday. I am flummoxed!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

A typo? Sounds most likely if there was nothing in the report or parents' evening.
scary mum
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That must be a typo??? :?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Typo is what I'm hoping. Shall have a word with the teacher after school. Not overly worried but would like to know what's happening! :-)
JRM

Post by JRM »

We still haven't been told our children's SATS results. They hope to be able to give them to us on Friday with their report. They will make interesting reading as they have had a substitute teacher for half of the year with no homework, but also no particularly rigorous pieces of maths or English. The teacher assessed grades will make interesting reading considering I know exactly what the previous teacher had him assessed as. It doesn't matter is already drummed into my head. I think having had their transition day to the GS that the kids know that too as they are all in the mindset for work there and have given up on primary school already. Which is a positive thing in our case.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now