New here Advice please.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: New here Advice please.

Post by mystery »

September is not far off, so it's much more important to work on the GL assessment stuff rather than SATs work between now and September.

Appeals don't happen until the following Spring / Summer so you have plenty of time after the 11plus exam to work on her "working at" levels so that you can impress the appeals panel if need be with lovely looking exercise books and high teacher assessments for the remainder of year 6.

I think it would be very mean of a panel to use the relapse argument against you .... ask Etienne (try the appeals section) for more info on what you should do re. the illness side of things.
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

I see, I think :? Our daughters teacher told me that they used the Year 5 books, not the Year 6 books should we appeal. Interesting that, that is not necessarily the case, and good for my daughter because she is terrible, especially with maths for not writing down her workings out. It has only been in the last couple of months that she has started doing it, so if they used her Year 5 book to impress it wouldn't! She was one of those kids that knew the answer so couldn't be bothered to write down why!
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Hi

Just wanted to say that you should go ahead and get your daughter to do the test. My DS is starting at gs in Bexley in September. In year 5, he was a 5B maths, 5B reading and 4B writing. Many of his friends unfortunately didn't pass the Bexley test. Can I say why he passed and they didn't - no. Better to try and not pass, than not try at all. I told my son, that if he wanted more choice of schools, then he could take the test. However, I did explain to him that, he might not pass it or even pass and not get a place (on distance). If this happened, at least he had tried and also had learnt some new skills re verbal reasoning, he loves maths so didn't see this as a chore.

Will my DS do well at gs ? I hope so, but I don't know. At least he has the chance to find out.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

Bromleymum1 wrote:Hi

Just wanted to say that you should go ahead and get your daughter to do the test. My DS is starting at gs in Bexley in September. In year 5, he was a 5B maths, 5B reading and 4B writing. Many of his friends unfortunately didn't pass the Bexley test. Can I say why he passed and they didn't - no. Better to try and not pass, than not try at all. I told my son, that if he wanted more choice of schools, then he could take the test. However, I did explain to him that, he might not pass it or even pass and not get a place (on distance). If this happened, at least he had tried and also had learnt some new skills re verbal reasoning, he loves maths so didn't see this as a chore.

Will my DS do well at gs ? I hope so, but I don't know. At least he has the chance to find out.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
WOW 5B Maths and Reading super brains!
mystery

Post by mystery »

ok i missed out a step Bexamy. Before the results come out in October of year 6 there is an opportunity for a headteacher review if a child has failed marginally. The year 5 books might be used at this stage, and the fail converted to a pass before you get the results. If your child still is a fail, you then have a chance later in the year to appeal yourself to an independent appeal panel. This is the Kent system - it's not the same everywhere.

So the year 5 books might be useful - but I am sure your child's NC levels are perfectly suitable. The only reason maybe your "friends" said waht they did is if they are applying to a superselective - one that requires a really high score. Is that the case? Even so, I am sure you are still on course for this. there are plenty of children at Kent superselectives who had those grades at the end of year 5 I would have thought - and to a certain extent the grades are unreliable anyhow as they are teacher assessed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now