Why is my DD's primary school not issuing sub levels?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Roz12

Why is my DD's primary school not issuing sub levels?

Post by Roz12 »

Hi all,

I just had a parent's evening and was told my daughter is near a level 5 in maths and English. I was told the school is not issuing sub levels?

Why is that? As I hear everyone else talking about level 5A, 5B 5C etc.

Thanks

Roz
Guest55

Re: Why is my DD's primary school not issuing sub levels?

Post by Guest55 »

Sub levels are not official; all KS2 test levels are just a number.
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Guest55 wrote:Sub levels are not official; all KS2 test levels are just a number.
Schools used to provide sub level and in some cases the raw score. I remember looking at the bands and even if the bands were not always broken down within the level (e.g. level 6 bands), it was not difficult to break it down so you get a sense.
Do they now only provide the simple level and the raw score? Or not even provide raw score?
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

I would interpret "near a level 5" as a level 4a.

Our primary school is currently trying to avoid issuing sub-levels (except at the end of the year) because the children's levels bounce up and down to a certain extent. They do use euphemisms like "a comfortable 5" (5b?) and "into the 5 bracket" (5c - if it's a good day.)

You will be given a straight level 4/5/6 at the end of year 6 SATs but the secondary school will be told the sub-levels. I think those sub levels come from teacher assessment rather than the actual test.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Secondary schools get the KS2 test marks and we were certainly told exactly what our DS got. In fact we were given the test papers!