sats 2014 advice on preparation please?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: sats 2014 advice on preparation please?

Post by Guest55 »

The level 3 to 5 GPS (what SPaG is really called) paper contains nothing I would call 'writing'.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

mystery wrote:There is a test of writing within the spag test. It was new last year. It is worth looking at in detail.

Only the optional level 6 paper had a writing test. The 3-5 paper didn't have a writing task.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes you are right - sorry my mistake. The spag content up to level 6 might help the op's daughter if it is these elements that are keeping her level down to 2a.

I think unless a teacher shows you how they assessed her writing at 2a and what she needs to improve on to achieve level 3 one can only guess what the problem is.

Does she write in her first language too?
adam2

Post by adam2 »

Thank you for the replies and advice.

my dd joined year 4 in spring term and at the end of year 4 her reading level was 1b, writing 1b and maths 2b.
she got extra help from TA and was on individual education plan when she was in year 4 and year 5.

At the end of year 5 her reading was 3b, writing 2a and maths 4c.

The good news is the latest assessment which I lately received the outcome showed reading 4c, writing 3b and maths 4b.Her writing is yet not reach the level 4. In year 6 she doesn't get any extra help.

she speaks and understands English well. But writing need to be improved...........I was worried when the school gave her writing as 2a in year 6 , but the correct level is 3b.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

She has made brilliant progress so just encourage her. I would have thought the school would be keen to get her to level 4 in Year 6 so would give her some booster lessons.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I really would not worry too much about the teacher assessed writing. What sort of school is she going to next? What is her spag level? I would work on that. Some schools seem to neglect it still as it is relatively new but it will help her writing longer term as will reading. Try to up the maths too. The writing levels are so subjective ( yes they are moderated etc but still you will see huge variations in teacher views) you can slog your guts out on that without a direct payback at this stage.

As her English vocabulary must have initially been very limited this would have shown up in her low reading and writing levels. At what point did her English overtake her first language - or has that not happened yet?
MSC

Post by MSC »

Hi Adam2, I sent you a private message.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
MSC

Post by MSC »

adam2 wrote:
my dd joined year 4 in spring term and at the end of year 4 her reading level was 1b, writing 1b and maths 2b.
she got extra help from TA and was on individual education plan when she was in year 4 and year 5.

At the end of year 5 her reading was 3b, writing 2a and maths 4c.

The good news is the latest assessment which I lately received the outcome showed reading 4c, writing 3b and maths 4b..

Oh my gosh! You DD has done really amazing!! Let me read that again:

"The good news is the latest assessment which I lately received the outcome showed reading 4c, writing 3b and maths 4b.Her writing is yet not reach the level 4.. "

FROM 1B, 1B and 2b at end of year 4!!! Wow.. well done to her and you! I can imagine coming from another country, a different culture, language and be ble to achieve that in a very short time is fantastic.

I hope the recommendation I PMed you will help. It's specifically for creative writing, but that appears to be the focus of your concern. As the others have highlighted, work on SPaG is obviously crucial. I will PM you with a few more thoughts.

Well done again!
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)