Maths woes or not

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Maths woes or not

Post by Yamin151 »

Hi

I have two sons, twins. Both working well in maths, but where one has a very open mindset to maths (ask for help, work at it until you understand), the other is far more fixed (if I can't do it immediately I must be too thick and will never learn). He is one mental maths book below his twin in a small primary, but still working at good level 5. Teacher says his performance in class is fine and he engages in lessons and book work. It's the mental maths homework we struggle with. I have his book and I've just done the whole section, there is nothing in it that he cannot do. However, left to himself he will get 60% wrong by rushing, making hurried errors and by absolutely refusing to check it or thing it through slowly.
How doi tackle this? So far we have had
1. Let him make the mistakes and do nothing. They mark their own at school and go through all the answers, but I take a group myself, there is not a lot of time to make sure each member of group understands completely
2. Helping him at home, lots of tears, his and mine, as he gets cross and snappy and lolls in chair saying "2 x 12? I dunno I dunno!"

Mug that I am I am determined to go in for another try. Whilst my biggest concern is maintaining his confidence, equally I think this frantic backing off from any pushing through frustration is doing nothing for either his skills or in the end for his confidence (group sessions cannot be fun if you have made loads of mistakes), and ultimately it is setting a dislike of maths into concrete!
His teacher as I say is happy with his class work and suggests homework club, but my son really does not want to do this so it's a last option, and as many do it, they still only really help those who ask, and my son tends not to!

I can't help thinking that an honest discussion around it followed by an obligation to work through whole section, even if it's a bit bumpy, in knowledge that he can emerge at the end havingt he satisfaction of knowing how to do it, might be the way to go. But don't want to make things worse.
Thanks for any ideas!
Daogroupie

Re: Maths woes or not

Post by Daogroupie »

In a small primary there is no hiding from each other, I always think twins are better in a large primary where they can be in different classes and develop in their own time. I would focus on something he is really good at and come back to the maths when he is feeling more confident. DG
Salapanda

Post by Salapanda »

Can't you hand it over to the teacher to deal with? Especially as you believe the school system isn't coping very well with the issue.

Alternatively, as your son is doing very well anyway, why push for more? What you don't want is to damage your relationship with him for something that is not your responsibility.

:D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Which year are they in Yamin?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I absolutely love the BBC schools mental maths challenge show for lightening the mood when maths has got miserable. Yes it is probably too easy, but it is fun and confidence boosting. The whole bbc school radio site is brilliant imo...currently serialising private peaceful btw.

Here you are yamin...let him get full marks while his bruv is off elsewhere, and give him a boost!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03g64ps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:I absolutely love the BBC schools mental maths challenge show for lightening the mood when maths has got miserable. Yes it is probably too easy, but it is fun and confidence boosting. The whole bbc school radio site is brilliant imo...currently serialising private peaceful btw.

Here you are yamin...let him get full marks while his bruv is off elsewhere, and give him a boost!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03g64ps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are in year 6 Mystery.
THanks for the website Southbucks, looks great!

I did ds maths with him last night. I did it first, in the day (Loved it actually), then we sat together with a bag of maltesers, he had one for each question we worked through without fuss, which was all, as it happens, 12 complex word questions, all happily done, avoided just couple of what would have been needless mistakes, but all very positively diverted. Wish me luck that this works each week (we did it while bro wasnt here)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Oh the power of choccy...right now I would polish all the kids shoes for a Malteser...self inflicted diet!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now