SATS in Easter Hols

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

SATS in Easter Hols

Post by Yamin151 »

Chris Evans show, Don't Forget feature, just had parent saying "don't forget, ****, that although you are on holiday, you still have to go into school to do some SATS study". Where to start with this???? SATS are for the benefit of the school, not the child, so its mean and unfair to expect him to work in his holidays, for what benefit?? It also strikes me that if SATS are a measure of the school and not the child, its surely a measure of the school's ability to educate your child in the time they are given, not by cheating the system and doing extra study???
Poor child.
Brum Mum

Re: SATS in Easter Hols

Post by Brum Mum »

Yamin151 wrote:Chris Evans show, Don't Forget feature, just had parent saying "don't forget, ****, that although you are on holiday, you still have to go into school to do some SATS study". Where to start with this???? SATS are for the benefit of the school, not the child, so its mean and unfair to expect him to work in his holidays, for what benefit?? It also strikes me that if SATS are a measure of the school and not the child, its surely a measure of the school's ability to educate your child in the time they are given, not by cheating the system and doing extra study???
Poor child.
I'm a bit hacked off about SATs at the mo. DS tells me that because he is doing Level 6, he's only doing PE once a week. He also did poorly in the SATs maths L6 paper and its really knocked his confidence (despite the fact that he only got one wrong in the L5 paper).

He then said "when we get back from Easter, there's only x days until SATs".

I've explained to him that whilst I want him to do his best in everything, these are more of a measure for the school...but it seems as though this is all I hear about at the moment.

Sorry for the thread hijack! :oops:
z-g

Post by z-g »

We're in the same situation, DS1 is also doing level 6 but its just too much pressure, he has to go in the Easter hols too,
He is just stressing too much, even if he gets one question wrong. It's not really fair on the dc.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Are these state primary schools that are bringing children back during Easter holidays?
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Just to add - DS hasn't been asked to go in in the Easter hols - and if he is, I will be saying no.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

That's just ridiculous.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Brum Mum wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:Chris Evans show, Don't Forget feature, just had parent saying "don't forget, ****, that although you are on holiday, you still have to go into school to do some SATS study". Where to start with this???? SATS are for the benefit of the school, not the child, so its mean and unfair to expect him to work in his holidays, for what benefit?? It also strikes me that if SATS are a measure of the school and not the child, its surely a measure of the school's ability to educate your child in the time they are given, not by cheating the system and doing extra study???
Poor child.
I'm a bit hacked off about SATs at the mo. DS tells me that because he is doing Level 6, he's only doing PE once a week. He also did poorly in the SATs maths L6 paper and its really knocked his confidence (despite the fact that he only got one wrong in the L5 paper).

I've explained to him that whilst I want him to do his best in everything, these are more of a measure for the school...but it seems as though this is all I hear about at the moment.

Not a thread hijack at all! Just what I meant, its horrible. Can't believe children feel under so much pressure beyond 'doing their best'. I can understand and sympathise that teachers are under so much pressure, that is not right either, but you know what? They are adults, pass the sh*t upwards, not downwards!
z-g

Post by z-g »

We had no choice but to say yes, it was either getting more homework or going in for extra booster classes, DS1 decided to go as he didn't want extra work. southbucks3, My DS1 goes to our local state primary school.
This whole thing with SATs is just ridiculous!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

z-g wrote:We had no choice but to say yes, it was either getting more homework or going in for extra booster classes, DS1 decided to go as he didn't want extra work. southbucks3, My DS1 goes to our local state primary school.
This whole thing with SATs is just ridiculous!

I can really see how your DS felt pressured and felt it was easier to go in. That is so wrong. As has been said, if my children had been given extra work or called in I would have said no, they really wouldn't do it, but then this is a school I would feel comfortable doing that, and I wouldn't be the only parent to do it. I suspect, as in your case z-g, that this just wasn't an option for you. What if you'd been away?
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Yamin151 wrote:
Brum Mum wrote:
Poor child.

Not a thread hijack at all! Just what I meant, its horrible. Can't believe children feel under so much pressure beyond 'doing their best'. I can understand and sympathise that teachers are under so much pressure, that is not right either, but you know what? They are adults, pass the sh*t upwards, not downwards!
Thanks for that - it was horrid to see, especially as he loves tests and wants to do his best.

I offered to go and speak to his teacher about it - but he said he doesn't want me to. I've offered to ask for him to be withdrawn from the test - again a no from him. He says that maybe he was just having an off day.

He seems to only bring home these SATs workbooks for homework and its all he talks about (workwise) at school.